This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Aerial Fabric or straps for gymnastic based strength

Started by David McManamon, June 3, 2012 · 3 Replies · 1,062 Views

David McManamon

I was introduced to this website in December 2009 and my training has never been the same since! I love it.

For the last 8 months I have been training at circus schools and using aerial fabric or aerial straps which have many of the same strength elements as rings and the strength training can be similar. Consider some elements from my workout on Saturday:

Back lever pulls, front lever (not filmed), roll-ups, side-planche and on the floor- l-sit walks, elbow lever and handstand. Planche training on the mini P-bars was also included and not filmed since I had to choose between a camera and music on my iPhone and I needed a little boost for certain moves.

Side note 1: I now see I should have posted this under "workout logs"

Sind note 2: Finding a good place to train is difficult as an adult, if your local gymnastics gym says no, you might be lucky enough to find a circus school that says yes.

Michael Traynor

Great to see more Sangliers on here! I have a workout log documenting my progress on straps, I started training on them nearly 2 months ago, Thanks for sharing your video! I hope to pick your brains in the future, I have subbed you on youtube :)

Randeep Walia

Can a mod pls move this to the Workout Logs Forum?

OP- very cool video. Do you perform with anyone or do you just do this for yourself?

David McManamon

I have a 4 minute aerial straps routine that I performed exactly once! Right now I'm in the process of moving from the LA area to NYC for the summer so I'm looking for placing in NYC to train. I also work 50+ hours per week so I don't really have time to run all over town going to auditions.