How do I stay in shape while injured?

Started by Muskz, June 2, 2012 · 4 Replies · 13,440 Views

Muskz

Hi, recently I stretched a ligament in my elbow and can not work upper body for four weeks (it's killing me). I've just been working core, flexibility and running, but someone told me that running too much could make me lost my muscle mass.

What should I do during this period while I'm injured? Should I take this time as a bulking period, a cutting period, or what? Summer training starts June 11, and I really don't want to be behind. I'm 15 and male, too, if that helps.

Thanks.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Ahhh, working around injuries, that's something I am familiar with... :wink:

There may be some angles that you could do isometrics with your elbow safe... ask your doc.

If you still have both your arms :?: , you can certainly do upper body work:

Push ups, pull ups, rows, snatches, swings, presses, etc... (hangs or negs to scale down - static holds)

[edit] - I certainly meant one arm work (the good arm!) - thanks Cole Dano for the correction.

basically all the dumbbell exercises as well!

Carries would be great too (suitcase, waiter's, etc...)

Are you cleared for swimming?

Walks with a weighted vest or loaded backpack.

Stair work, loaded and unloaded.

Sprints too if it doesn't strain your elbow (depends where it is hurt)

You could also play ping pong or tennis, depending on which arm got hurt.

Cole Dano

If it's a ligament and the doctor ordered four weeks rest then push ups and pull ups etc are strictly off the menu.

You'll have to focus on conditioning, core and lower body work. And get enough rest and good food to allow the healing to take place in as timely a manner as possible.

FREDERIC DUPONT
Cole Dano said:
If it's a ligament and the doctor ordered four weeks rest then push ups and pull ups etc are strictly off the menu. (...)

wow, thanks for the precision Cole Dano, my post was at best ambiguous!

I certainly meant one arm work, leaving the injured one at rest!

Sorry for the poor wording. :oops:

Muskz

Thanks for the replies guys. This upcoming week is going to be a long one :(