Sternum Cracking?

Started by Michel Hendrickson, May 27, 2012 · 3 Replies · 23,338 Views

Michel Hendrickson

I"ve had this for quite a while, on and off sometimes it fades for a period and then it comes back. I"m wondering what it is and what I can do about it of course. My sternum makes an odd cracking-like sound when I stand with a proud chest. It feels odd in the sternum area. I also feel this sometimes when I do dips or another action that involves a high amount of pectoralis activation.

Nic Scheelings

Common problem. Inflammation of the costochondral joints. Due to too much load too quick, often with rings, weighted dips ect..

Only way to solve it is back off and gradually reintroduce those movements. A heat pack can be useful as well.

Michel Hendrickson
Nic Scheelings said:
Common problem. Inflammation of the costochondral joints. Due to too much load too quick, often with rings, weighted dips ect..

Only way to solve it is back off and gradually reintroduce those movements. A heat pack can be useful as well.

Thank you,

I googled costochondral joints and I found what possibly could be the problem I have. And indeed I think I have to back off of exercises with heavy pectoralis activation.

The popping:

"A popping or cracking noise emanating from the sternum (breastbone) is usually associated with the joints between the breastbone and ribs."

Causes:

"Physical strain. This may be seen in excessive weight lifting (bench pressing) or other activities that put pressure on the chest wall, its muscles and bones."

http://www.healthhype.com/popping-crack ... joint.html

Ivan Pellejero

Hahaha man, this happened to me, some time ago as I started training back lever, I went from tuck to full in less than two months(sooo stupid), one day I woke up with my right sternoclavicular joint on fire, i couldn't move my arm, time to rest I said, that was before december of 2011. Now, just now, the cracking and aches are gone. I performed the ido's shoulder and scapula routine, backed away my back lever to tuck again(now at 1 minute adv tuck) and do 5 or 6 skin the cat in conjunction with the scapula routine before starting the pre reqs, after the training I do german hangs 3x30 without any pain(currently fully stretched). That did it to me, hope it helps.