Training with weights that change over time.

Started by Joseff Lea, May 25, 2012 · 6 Replies · 2,960 Views

Joseff Lea

Just a thought that I had today whilst using a watering can, would training with weights that change mass over time (as in say a full watering can held at an angle so that water pours out) be of any use in regular training? Seems to me that it would be most useful for training static holds, e.g holding two watering cans out to the side to simulate an inverted cross. Could this be used as a form of strength-endurance training where (if you got the rate of deacrease of mass right) your muscles were kept at the same "feeling of intensity" (I know what I'm trying to describe but can't find the right words), enabling you to keep training the static for longer periods of time whilst also avoiding failure.

Would this form of training, in comparison to just holding a regular weight, stimulate the prime movers or the smaller support muscles to a greater extent?

I know this is a bit of a irreverent question, but I thought it might be fun to discuss :)

Rik de Kort

It's a method akin to drop setting and I don't think it's practical difficulties would outweight it's benefits.

rubadub

That's a novel idea, the water pouring out. Could be sand if you wanted something denser for more weight, and no water going everywhere.

Joshua Naterman

That is, in fact, a pretty cool idea.

I don't think you would get a better training effect than running accumulation cycles with moderate intensification cycles.

Edit: It would, however, be a great way to train while watering the garden!

FREDERIC DUPONT
Joshua Naterman said:
(...) It would, however, be a great way to train while watering the garden!

LOL; a new dimension to "Farmer's Walks" :D

Quick Start Test Smith

Ha ha! :mrgreen:

Joshua Naterman
FredInChina said:
Joshua Naterman said:
(...) It would, however, be a great way to train while watering the garden!

LOL; a new dimension to "Farmer's Walks" :D

You just made me laugh out loud in class :)