How to improve?

Started by Martin, February 8, 2008 · 3 Replies · 3,010 Views

Martin

Hi,

Posted this one in the strength and conditioning as well, figured it belongs here for feedback ...would be grateful for any tips!

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmtbqinPb0w

I need to get my hips higher obviously, today my lower back felt stronger to get it a few inches higher than before, so I reckon that that is my weak link. Would doing back extensions help, or any other exercises?

Thanks a lot!

Martin

John Sapinoso

i know it's humbling, but i think you benefit from doing more extended tuck planches before moving on to straddle

pdpbanks

I agree with ts00nami. I'd go back to advanced tuck planche holds. If that's really strong, you can get ankle weights or due advanced tuck planche pushups.

Also, you can go from tuck planche, press out to a straddle, and then come back to tuck planche for reps. You go from handstand down to straddle planche and try to fight the negative.

jparkdzg

Essentially not an issue of lower back strength, to be honest. Most people who train have enough lower back strength for a planche (lay down on your belly and if you can lift and hold your legs off the ground, theres enough strength). The main issue is still your shoulder strength. Work straight arm press handstands and pressing into a handstand from a tucked planche with straight arms and you'll be straddle planching in no time.