Tuck planche

Started by Kevin, January 14, 2008 · 8 Replies · 4,118 Views

Kevin

I just started Coach Sommer's planche progressions. I can do the frog stand for 60 seconds, tuck planche on fingertips for 15 seconds, but having trouble doing the tuck planche with flat palms. I think I need to lean forward more and raise my hips higher in order to get my feet off the ground. Easier said than done. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

By the way, I'm also progressing on the front lever, iron cross, and handstand (my record handstand is 30 seconds).

Raizen

Haha, I believe you pretty much answered your own question, lean forward more, and lift your hips a tad. One suggestion is to find a place where you can see your reflection from one or more angles and train there so you can judge for yourself where you are. I personally like to do these things without seeing myself, simply because when I dont see my reflection I have to really listen to my body in order to make judgements, but I'm weird that way. Also, finding someone else (anyone really) and showing them what you want to do and then having them judge your form is another idea. Cheers.

-A-

Coach Sommer

You may find it helpful to turn your hands out to the side, varying from slightly turned out to all the way sideways. Experiment to find what is most comfortable and productive for you.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

David Picó García

My problem with the skill are not the writs but the forearms. Months ago If i did the tuck in parallets i had a pain in the forearm (from wrist to elbow) specially if i drop my hands suddenly. If i do the tuck on floor i have no pain (except if i drop the position suddenly), so i'm doing them on floor right now

Now i'm able to do a tuck planche with good form for 5 seconds (usually just 2-3 seconds) but i cant see any improvement, months ago i left the training because of the explained forearm pain, and now im returning back, but i think my limiting factor are my forearm, i found that if i try to lean forward or up the hips all the pressure goes to my forearms, they start to really burn.

Should i train the forearms with other specific exercise or continue with the progression?

Thank you

If you don't understand my English im sorry but im from Spain.

zennode

I definitely found, especially once I progressed to the advanced tuck planche that I needed to have my hands point out at a 45 degree angle or there was too much stress put on my wrists.

Wade

Hey all,

After i moved on from the frog stand, i found that i was putting to much strain on my wrists and as i train MMA, i want to look after my wrists. So i made up a little set of parrallel bars which sit about 50mm from the ground. It takes alot of the pressure of the wrists and allows me to concentrate on keeping my arms locked straight etc.

Would using bars effect my progression?

Wade

kbryk

Wade that is perfectly fine, many people do that, also those nifty little p-bars enable you to do a lot more than just planche progression. As long as you have your elbows locked/arms straight, and hips at shoulder height you will be fine.

Wade

Thanks mate, im slowly but surely progressing,

Alll the best

Chiflado

No tengo una idea para tu problema, pero tu ingles es muy bien.