overnight calorie deficits

Started by Chris Cantrell, May 21, 2012 · 1 Replies · 2,771 Views

Chris Cantrell

I have noticed over the last couple weeks that unless I have something along the lines of a large protein drink just before going to sleep, I wake up with over a 400 calorie deficit. Closer to 600 or so.

Are over night deficits just as detrimental as anyother time? Or is 12 ounces of milk and protein powder at midnight more of a problem?

I guess I could time other meals better so as to need a little smaller before sleep snack.

Larry Roseman
151 said:
I have noticed over the last couple weeks that unless I have something along the lines of a large protein drink just before going to sleep, I wake up with over a 400 calorie deficit. Closer to 600 or so.

Are over night deficits just as detrimental as anyother time? Or is 12 ounces of milk and protein powder at midnight more of a problem?

I guess I could time other meals better so as to need a little smaller before sleep snack.

NS uses the worst case assumption that all calories will be absorbed in 1 hour. However in reality it takes several

hours for them to be absorbed, especially after a large meal like dinner. So if the calories are spread out a bit

more evenly, as occurs in reality, it's likely you wouldn't show a large deficit.

But it depends on your size, metabolism and what you ate as well. Protein powder, typically Micelular Casien has been used by BBs prior to going to sleep, to release over the course of the night. A small 20 g serving would take 4-5 hours to

be digested and absorbed. A larger dose would take longer.