Ring strength series 1 and Bulgarian Dips

Started by boofis, May 20, 2012 · 12 Replies · 3,837 Views

boofis

Hi guys,

Just thought I'm at the stage where I should ask for some feedback. Have been training for about 3 months now and feel I've made ok progress but don't want to develop any bad habits.

Height: 6"3

Weight: 69kg (yes I'm hoping this will change lol)

Goals: Just to enjoy keeping fit and build a bit of strength this year. Did some half marathons and one full marathon last year and felt like going to the other end of the spectrum this year so here I am!

Please excuse the immodest views in some portions of the exercises lol.

One video of ring strength series 1 attempt 1 (Skip to 30seconds sorry):

Another ring strength series 1:

Some bulgarian dips that I've started doing as of 2 weeks ago (Skip to 25 seconds):

Thanks!

PatrickMeniru

Hi,

I'm still no expert in gymnastic exercises, but i can help you with one, very important, thing. Your grip is wrong when performing the back lever progression. What you're doing is exactly what i did at first, which is to use a pronated grip (ie. your hands face the same way for a FL as a BL). What this does is take most of the stress away from the bicep and make the skill easier. Part of the advantage of training the BL is that your biceps and associated tendons increase in strength, which helps with more advanced skills like PL and Iron Cross.

What i would suggest doing in going back to german hangs using the correct (supinated) grip. Watch any videos on the GB of people doing BL and you will see the grip i mean, palms facing your feet, not your head. I think that you will be surprised at how taxing just the German hang is - i certainly was. It will be disheartening at first but if you are careful with your training, it shouldn't take you too long to get back up to advanced tuck, but this time around you will have much stronger biceps and forearms. :)

boofis

ahhhhh, thanks for that!

Will have to see how I can go about achieving that with home made rings as I already start with one twist in the rope to do a muscle up properly. Nearly at the savings goal of buying a set of x rings so things may change soon..

Appreciate the input alot.

Any advice on the dips by any chance? I'm fairly uncertain about form on those just hoping I'm doing them at least partially correctly.

PatrickMeniru

I can't see much wrong with the dips, but i'm really not experienced enough to comment on them critically. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you feedback on those.

All the best with your training!

boofis

Has anyone got any input as to how I reduce the swinging motion in the rings after I do the little back roll thing in series 1? Is it just cause the move is too jerky as I currently perform it?

Thanks!

Ian Myers

The rings shake because of the speed you roll back in. Over time you'll get strong enough so that you can do this with enough control to prevent unnecessary shaking.

Ian Myers

for the back lever, you want the hands like this

blever.jpg

hope it helps! :)

boofis

Bah! So close, dang, gotta keep turning the rings out. Take #3 lol.

Thanks mate.

boofis

Alright!

Progress update:

Input?

Ian Myers

Looks like you've got it down! :)

My only suggestion would be to relax the legs while in the xr support hold. If you look you'll notice a slight piking of the hips, but this should be easy to fix.

boofis

Thanks for the input and encouragement guys.

Have found since moving the rings inside for winter that my supports are alot more 'swingy' now :S The only thing I've been thinking that might've effected this (Besides possibly being lazy with technique) Is that the rings are now a good 2 feet closer to the pivot point than they originally were outside: impacting variable or an excuse what do you think? Haha.

Zach A, would it be better for me to keep my knees in a kneeling position the whole time and try and stay straight? I'm not quite to the L-sit MU in terms of consistency so can't be training with it all the time.

Banzas

Looking really good! Great control! :D

Now try to slower your muscle up and try to do it from a L-hang. I'm not sure if I'm right about this but maybe try also to reduce your forward lean on the transition?

Really liked your FSPs, they look consistent and with good form! (maybe legs a bit shaky and a few degrees up on the back lever)

Good job and keep working! :)

Nuno