This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120518

Started by Coach Sommer, May 18, 2012 · 10 Replies · 1,881 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete the following:

3 sets of: MU to BL, lower to German Hang, pullout to FL, lower to hang, MU to XR L-sit, press to shoulder stand, press out to XR Support Hold, roll backward to BL, FL

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) The MU to BL is performed by executing a MU to just over the transition and then lowering with control down into a back lever. Note that it is necessary to press the shoulders forward during the descent into BL in order to maintain the correct balance. The body position of the BL may be modified as needed to accommodate your current strength levels.

3) If necessary, the MU to BL may be scaled down by performing a MU to support and then rolling backward to the BL.

4) All MUs should be performed with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition

5) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

6) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

7) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

8 ) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL, then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

9) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Quick Start Test Smith

Oh, Coach... now you've really thrown me a tough one. I thought I was finally figuring out the WOD pattern but this one is totally unexpected. :lol:

Is it acceptable to replace a ring series with pull ups/chin ups, dips, and perhaps inverted hang lower to german hang and back?

For example:

3 sets of: 5 chin ups or 3 pull ups, 5 dips, 5 inverted hangs lowered to german hang and back + 3-5 minute rest

Quick Start Test Smith

Okay. GOOD! That's a relief. I must be on the wrong cycle in my document... I'll triple check ;)

Tyler Schmitz

Here's my first set of today's WOD. This is only my 2nd ring WOD I've done in a very long time after coming back to them.

k4jHRDF2zvk

Was really hot out there today and I'm still exhausted from yesterday's dynamic leg WOD lol. Not much clearance to do the shoulder stand hanging from the field goal post but it worked ok. Resetting my false grip to do the second MU looked bad but oh well. Good luck everyone!

Sven Ravnstag

I was able to do two consecutive muscle ups without touching the ground for the first time today using this "bad" resetting technique. Definitely not pretty, but I was pleased to have made some progress!

What's the proper way to do this? Is it just about having enough strength to curl your wrists in and up from a dead hang with brut strength?

Tyler Schmitz
Steve Sisk said:
I was able to do two consecutive muscle ups without touching the ground for the first time today using this "bad" resetting technique. Definitely not pretty, but I was pleased to have made some progress!

What's the proper way to do this? Is it just about having enough strength to curl your wrists in and up from a dead hang with brut strength?

I don't know if there is a "proper" way to reset a false grip. If you're strong enough, of course, a false grip won't be required to perform a MU, just like one of the more difficult MU variations in BtGB book.

Craig Wilson

I did the ring strength series with the backward roll into the first BL, all the levers were fully tucked. I failed to re-establish my false grip on the second MU of the second set, so that one got broken up into two chunks. After I finished all three sets, I tried the MU to BL transition where I managed to transition into a piked BL. It wasn't the prettiest, but it's an achievement. My fourth FL out of five failed at 12 seconds. I got the order of the German hangs and ring strap HS holds mixed up. My triceps were sore afterward.

edit: I notice that I failed to perform the static holds as a giant set. D'oh.

Sven Ravnstag

I meant to ask about this earlier. Is the order of the FL, GH, HS important? I ask because where I practice this requires two adjustments to ring height per giant set, whereas another order like FL, GH, HS would only require one and thus less uncalled-for rest. Is the order important enough to spend extra time adjusting the rings?

Tyler Schmitz
Steve Sisk said:
I meant to ask about this earlier. Is the order of the FL, GH, HS important? I ask because where I practice this requires two adjustments to ring height per giant set, whereas another order like FL, GH, HS would only require one and thus less uncalled-for rest. Is the order important enough to spend extra time adjusting the rings?

I don't think the order matters as long as they are done one after the other; however, the GHs may tire your grip/forearm for a steady HS after. Although doing it in the order of FL,GH, HS, you will still need to re-adjust the rings back up during your 30-60 sec rest between rounds. I have the same problem with my rings, so I simply just hold a freestanding HS on the ground in the rx'd order, that way I don't have to re-adjust the ring height at all. I feel that a steady 15 sec floor freestanding HS after the ring sets is more difficult than an XR strap HS, but that's just me.

diotrephes

Completed the following:

3 sets of:

MU to BL, lower to German Hang, pullout to FL, lower to hang - then repeated with addition of XR L-sit after first movement

5x15 seconds FL straddle

5x15 seconds XR Strap Shoulderstand

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

skyler_t

i have the same problem with ajusting the rings,so i use my pull up bar for german hang and front lever.so i can keep the rings low for the handstands.