Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM: Worth it?

Started by Scott Kane, October 17, 2008 · 5 Replies · 5,476 Views

Scott Kane

Those of you supplementing with glucosamine, chondroitin, and/or msm what are your opinions? Has it helped you with joint, tendon, and other soft tissue pain?

mick

Personally, as a senior citizen (well - about 40 :lol: ) I can recommend glucosamine for your joints.

I have participated in martial arts most of my adult life and the years do eventually take their toll. Due to persistant aches and pains I have supplemented my diet with glucosamine and haven't looked back.

I am just starting out in gymnastics (you are never to old to learn - I hope :shock: ) and I think the joints should take the strain....

Try it for a month -it can't do any harm and it might even help!!

Gregor

Take complex of glucosamin, sms, conhodrit...

Terry

In a study reported in the LA Times of 1583 people over a 24 week period who were randomly assigned these supplements no definitive evidence of improvement was found.

Anecdotal reports from other users says otherwise.

With me there was nil effect.

Gregor

I noticed change in my shoulders-->less clicking and more smooth moving....

Scott Kane

Well, I got tired of nursing a biceps tendon tweak and decided to take the plunge. After reading tons of anecdotes and testimonies mainly on the Crossfit forums I decided to try a liquid glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM SULFATE. According to what I read, the sulfur is the important molecule as opposed to HCl.

This is the product I went with-->http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=UI-1003

Perhaps it's just the placebo effect, but within days my arm has starting feeling much better. It has been a nagging injury that's been around the last few months, so for such a sudden change of pace I was pleased.

If you're on the fencepost about this one, I would suggest going for it. Especially if you currently have any nagging connective tissue injuries.