This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120515

Started by Coach Sommer, May 15, 2012 · 7 Replies · 2,037 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes then start the Walking HSPU Ladders.

8 ) Begin with Box HeSPU; perform 2 reps then immediately do 6 steps of HS Wall Runs. Take a few breaths and then move on to Negative HeSPU performing 2 reps followed by 6 steps of HS Wall Runs, continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

10) Adjust the reps in the Walking HSPU Ladder as necessary. If performing two reps at a time is too difficult, drop to one repetition of each variation. If performing two is too easy, increase to three, four or even five reps per variation.

Vincent Stoyas

5/15/12

3x3 Cast Wall Walks

I forgot to do my band shoulder series, so I stopped there and did that.

2x5 Hes RLL

1x8 HeS Straddle RLL

Half round of HSPU ladder.

*Notes**

I'm performing the Cast Wall Walks wrong somehow. My right lat muscle or something right there starts to ache when I'm doing them. Maybe I'm shifting my weight poorly, I'll need to slow it down and figure out what's going on.

Only did half round of HSPU ladder because of that pain from the CWW. I stopped at 9, instead of doing a few more sets because of it and braced on.

For the ladder I did

8 HS Wall Runs

2 Negative HeSPU

8 HS Wall Runs

2 HeSPU

8 HS Wall Runs

2 Inch and a half elevated HeSPU.

On my way back I did, 8 Wall runs and did 2 elevated HeSPU and that's when it started to hurt. I pushed really hard to finish the rep and so I decided to cart wheel out instead of roll out and the cartwheel just really made me ache, so I stopped.

Sven Ravnstag

When doing a WOD, if you're unable to hit the desired number of reps (and when there is no practical way to scale down a movement), is it best to do as many reps in the set as you can and then move to the next or to add in rest periods in order to hit the target reps/volume?

For example, I have difficulty performing more than 5 cast wall walks at a time. What I've been doing is four sets of five with rests in between. Would I be better off doing my max (not to failure) for each set and then moving to the next exercise? I have the same experience with front lever pulls and pull-ups; not sure how to scale them any more than performing (the FLP's) from a tuck, but sometimes the volume of PU's/FLP is just too much for me to complete in a single set so I tend to break them up into multiple sets.

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks for the reply! Funny, but it only occurred to me reading your reply that "performing for prescribed reps" might mean accomplishing a certain volume with additional rest as needed while one builds up the endurance. I originally read it as being able to accomplish the reps in a single set without rest which is sometimes a challenge for me. It's interesting because I have enough strength to perform many of these moves fairly well, but I'm finding I lack the muscular endurance when the reps creep up towards 10. Likely due to 1-5 rep weight training for years before getting into gymnastics training.

Sven Ravnstag

Great; thanks for your advice! The WOD's are great but being relatively new and training in somewhat of a vacuum it's great to hear the experience of others for reference.

diotrephes

Performed:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

4x5 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

4x5 Straddle Negative Press HS

3x5 HesPu (in place of Walking HSPU Ladders)

Finished with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

Cannister

WOD 120515

1x10 Wrist Pushups: 10

2x10 Cast Wall Walks: 10, (10 wrist pushups), 5 wrists were shot, I was getting way too sloppy

2x5 Pike Box Press HS: 5, 5 (last two had sloppy descents)

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS: 10, 7 (neck started to hurt)

Walking HSPU Ladders: 4 box HeSPU (weak, I know - my wrists were shot to hell)

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups: 10

some of the cast wall walks and box presses:

Patrick Smith

Wow, Cannister, I think you're taking the "follow a week behind" thing to a whole new level! Haha!