Slight shoulder pain in rear deltoid, and other questions.

Started by JL, October 15, 2008 · 2 Replies · 4,186 Views

JL

Today I realized I had some slight pain in one of my rear deltoids. It doesn't hurt to rotate the shoulder around (although it does click slightly) but only when I massage in firmly in a spot the size of a quarter. My last pull up session was 48 hours ago (nothing else is sore, lats, traps etc.), and I did some stetching with hands behind my back last night. I have had a history of my right shoulder clicking, but has stopped since I started stretching my rear delts years ago.

1) Should I just work through it, because it doesn't hurt when I do pulling movements? Or, should I skip my pulling workout, tonight.

2) I read elsewhere that you should never release tension from the shoulders at the bottom of the pull up, or shoulder problems can occur. Is this true? I usually relase the tension to a dead hang, slowly get it back, and then pull back up strongly. Is the recommended technique different for both bars and rings?

thekyloe

Well, what movements of your arm, if any, does it hurt during?

I'd say play it by ear--if it gives you trouble, back off, but if you feel fine, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just my opinion, anyway.

Coach Sommer

I would recommend that you rest. The vast majority of the time, knowing when to ease off and allowing your body to recover will pay tremendous dividends in the long run; both in terms of performance as well as athletic longevity.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer