Hi there! I've been on the WODs for the past 5-6 months and have been training BtGB for the past 18-24 months...
Whilst I haven't quite completed Coach's list of pre-reqs for the iron cross; I did read in one of his posts, that alongside the straight arm bicep conditioning, he finds it acceptable for athletes to start implementing strap assisted cross pulls and static holds into their training.
I'm currently taking my time with the XR HS portion of the pre-reqs, as i still haven't quite got the trap strength to fully open my shoulders and increase my hold times much past 30s, but with all the back lever training ( i have a full lay) and planche leans I'm doing my biceps feel fine.
After having to back track on more than one occasion, I am in no rush, but it would be nice to start training this element, if for nothing else but the fact that a cross is badass and it would give me that little boost of motivation since my progress has seemed to taper off a bit recently.
As the WODs are already quite intensive and focus on alot of things, I think it's common sense to start with a very small volume and build up slowly... so i was thinking about just adding a few sets of assisted static holds and cross pulls on ring strength workouts (after ring str series and before statics) and on embedded static days (as long as its before back lever and planche), this would mean only twice a week with effectively a deload week with one session every three weeks.
So what do you guys reckon? smart, safe way to start to train for the cross? or is the egomonster getting greedy again?
Cheers,
Chris