This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120508

Started by Coach Sommer, May 8, 2012 · 6 Replies · 1,536 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3 sets of; MU, 2 XR Dips, L-sit press shoulder stand, roll fwd into a MU to a shoulder stand, negative Reverse MU down to an inverted hang, 2 slow Negative Front Pulls, 2 slow Negative Back Pulls

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) Strive to perform the MUs with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition.

3) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

4) You may use the feet on the straps to slow your descent during the negative Reverse MU.

5) Use the position of your choice during the negative Front and Back Pulls that allows you to control the descent while still being challenging. The ascent and descent of these elements may both be performed in different positions.

6) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

7) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

8 )Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL, then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

9) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Josh Schmitter

WOD:

3x3

-Chair Dips(2121)/1:40 rest

-Pull ups(2121)/1:40 rest

5x15s/60s rests

-Tuck L-sit Hang Low(about 120 degrees)

-XR Plank Hold

-German Hang(foot assist)

2x10 Wall Ext(313)

Notes:

-Even taking the dips/pulls down to 3x3 was very rough today. It's been a while so I'll have to work back up.

Randeep Walia

Coach, can you recommend a ring progression substitute for the beginner who does not yet have a muscle up, ring handstand, etc?

Newguy

For the muscle-up substitute 1 Dip, & 1 Pullup. Or if possible a foot assisted Muscle-up, using your feet as little as possible. For Ring HS substitute a stomach to the wall HS. And I don't know what else etc means, but you get the idea. If you have BTGB use that to help substitute, and for Shoulderstands their are progressions linked to above.

P.S. Hey guys, I have not posted nor been on the forum in FOREVER! Yikes, it's time to get back to doing the WOD's!

Michael Traynor

Welcome back Newguy :)

3 sets as RX'd (mostly) they looked like this, except that I did L sit MUs on the other 2 sets, rest of the workout done as normal.

I'm a day late as I had a typhoid injection and it made my shoulder turn to stone.

76CtwXSh5sg

Vincent Stoyas

Messed around with ring series elements yesterday

5 negative muscle ups.

Support -> shoulderstand -> L sit tuck. x2

Support -> forward roll -> L sit tuck hang

Support - > backwards roll -> negative BL (1 was flat tuck 1 was straddle)

Dead hang - > inverted hang -> negative FL tuck x2

*Notes*

Had plenty of rest, I didn't feel very strong at all so I decided to just mess around. I didn't want to wear myself out for the WOD today. Treated it as an active recovery day.

Coming down from SS -> L sit tuck is brutal brutal. I nearly flew off the rings the first attempt and barely held it on the second attempt.

Negative straddle BL was pretty funny. Just thought I'd try it, I can't flatten out nearly enough unless i turn the ring parallel, but I'm not gonna do that.

FL tuck is just so hard for me all of a sudden. Before I was holding a max 20s FL tuck, but now I can't even hold it for 5 seconds. Weird. It's not a goal right now though, so maybe that's part of the reason.

Ryan Libke

This routine went all right for me except for the foward roll from shoulder stand to shoulder stand. I felt like a meteor spinning towards earth and I could not maintain the false grip. The grip part seems critical, but it is escaping me.