Jovtchev galas

Started by David Picó García, October 15, 2008 · 11 Replies · 3,547 Views

David Picó García

Here you have two Jovtchev galas on floor. There are some nice straddle planches. This post is not for debate (as there was other thread to do that and closed for improper form), just for enjoying some nice olympic level gymnastics without the tension of the comptition.

powersnake

Jovtchev on Rings in Athens' Gala

He's one of my favorites athletes, and amazingly strong, even at 35.

It's such a shame he didn't win a medal in China.

rambo5501
powersnake said:
Jovtchev on Rings in Athens' Gala

He's one of my favorites athletes, and amazingly strong, even at 35.

It's such a shame he didn't win a medal in China.

He got a hand injury about 1-2 months before the Olympics. I think thats what I heard, correct me if I'm wrong.

JL

The guy is flat out awesome. It seems he has inspired a lot of people around the world.

powersnake
rambo5501 said:

He got a hand injury about 1-2 months before the Olympics. I think thats what I heard, correct me if I'm wrong.

I know he injured before 2004 (bicep injury), and he still has it. He's competing with this injury for a few years.

I haven't heard that he injured before beijing.

rambo5501
powersnake said:
rambo5501 said:

He got a hand injury about 1-2 months before the Olympics. I think thats what I heard, correct me if I'm wrong.

I know he injured before 2004 (bicep injury), and he still has it. He's competing with this injury for a few years.

I haven't heard that he injured before beijing.

Hmm nvm, I just found some information that he missed a handstand in his routine and that got him in last place. So he did go.

David Picó García

Yes he went to olympics, but he get the last position on rings finals because of that mistake. But thats gymnastics one mistake in the wrong time throws away a lot of hard work. I heard that his routine was very conservative may be not to much difficult or without innovation, but to ensure that he could perform it without risk of mistake. But he failed in a movement that he probably has done hundred times.

JL

Any news on whether or not his retirement is final? I have read conflicting reports. Some say Beijing was it, and other qoutes by him make it sound like he just needs a rest, and will potentially return.

Fabio Gutierrez

I believe the Olympic announcers said that this would be his last Olympics, and paraphrased Jovtchev as saying that it was getting too hard to stay competitive, that he was only training for 30 minutes (!) a day, etc. The announcers sounded like they were definitely pulling for him to do well.

JL

Here is a piece of the article:

Jovtchev said he will leave Beijing later this week to join his family in Bulgaria but plans to return to Houston. He would not address reports that he plans to retire from the sport, but he added, “For sure I will take a break for now.â€

rambo5501
JL said:
Here is a piece of the article:

Jovtchev said he will leave Beijing later this week to join his family in Bulgaria but plans to return to Houston. He would not address reports that he plans to retire from the sport, but he added, “For sure I will take a break for now.â€

Blairbob

Jordan turned 35 before the Games but did say he would retire after Beijing.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear a comeback, though. At least for World's. Then again it all depends if he feels he doesn't want to retire on that note. It's not like he needs to prove himself anymore.