Inverted muscle-up attempt

Started by ELITELIFTER, May 7, 2012 · 6 Replies · 3,123 Views

ELITELIFTER

So here it is, my first attempted inverted muscle up...

X9iwNSob7EA

The part I have the most trouble with is the shoulder press to handstand position which is strange to me.. I thought the initial body-weight bicep curl was the hard part, but it's fairly easy.

I need tips to build strength in the press. So far I have be doing lots of straight body bent arm press to handstands trying to go as low to shoulder stand position as possible each attempt. For the bicep curl I have simply work lots of backward rolls to shoulder stand. initially the backward roll was with a small amount of swing and very bent arms, now after months of training the movement I have been able to start in an inverted hang position (although with a small kip)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

I have also been messing around with my new camera and made a compilation of floor, rings, and parallel bars training. This was mainly just my learning how to cut and past video clips together, but there are lots of decent skills so and all advice is appreciated.

HERE IT IS:

11nXTFZWipI

Coach Sommer

This is a good start, however the beginning of your movement is a back kip to shoulderstand rather than a true no-momentum reverse muscle up and will need to become much more strict over time in order to qualify as a true reverse muscle up.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ELITELIFTER

Thanks for the reply coach! I have been training the movement on a semi consistent bases over the last month or so and feel as though I am making good progress. I'll post up another video in a few weeks or so!

Gregor

Good atempt, but same as a coach said...

Reversee is not that hard as it seems, did you ever tried without kip?

1. I would suggest you to try it with out (from video it looks you need to kip because you wan't to quick above rings, you barely bent your elbows...)?

2. with the movement (right before you reach you max rom of bending) try to get elbows above rings (in that movement I advice you to make hollow/aditional extra hollow thoracal part).

3. simple push up (eith RTO, when are RTO you must push forward, otherwise you will not sucsceed).

ELITELIFTER

thanks Gregor, I've been working this movement for a while now and it's definitely getting better. Thanks for the advice!

I tried using the ring cables like the guy in this video for a while and it helped me reduce/eliminate the kip, even just seeing how he pulls with his shoulders at the beginning rather than a more isolated bicep curl helped me a lot!

FVsS7j2exx4

I will post an updated video of my progress soon!

Gregor

Pleaye report, I would like to see how you do it :)

ELITELIFTER

Sorry guy's, I've been super busy.. video is coming soon.