Press to handstand attempt

Started by Mats Trane, May 1, 2012 · 9 Replies · 2,140 Views

Mats Trane

Been working my box press to handstand for some time and every now and then I try a press to handstand.

I can see I´m still leaning forward to much and that I should try to get my but up over my shoulder before rising my legs.

Any tips or criticism are welcome

YeP3ORgLTAM

Alessandro Mainente

nice attempt..

try to lean forward until you reach the top of your feet, and your are supporting on arms and on thumbs, in this position your butt shoulde be over your shoulders, so before trying to lift your legs try to roll your butt over your shoulders compressing your stomac to the legs with your abs and only after lift your legs up!

maybe you have to increase the pancake, i noticed a bif difference in planching!

Nic Scheelings

Good effort, I think you just got a little bit 'soft' at the top. Probably worrying so much about the press you forgot to stay nice and tight in the HS. Otherwise it's pretty much there I still lean forward a bit, it's very hard to not lean at all.

Nice work.

Mats Trane

Thanks guys! I will continue with my box presses and negative wall handstands and work on that. Also improve my pancake and spinal mobility

Joshua Chan

Very nicely done for a first attempt!! Just a couple of thing. Think of your body parts as segments and point. In a handstand all of them are in line: ankles, knees, hips, shoulders. In a press to handstand, you must first aline your hips and shoulder before raising your legs. Try to raise them form the side, I hope I explaining my self, instead instead of just pulling them up. A good drill is doing a press handstand with your butt facing a wall, this way your legs will have to raise from the sides, if you're not flexible enough to do it touching the wall just lengthen the distance a little bit. Also, always keep your stomach in and hollow your chest.

Keep up the good work!!

-Chan

Joshua Naterman

I think the biggest issue is the lack of fully open shoulders! Probably has a lot to do with thoracic mobility as I know has been mentioned. The strength and flexibility is there, that is for sure! Very nice!

Mats Trane

Again, thanks for all the inputs!

Joshua Naterman said:
Probably has a lot to do with thoracic mobility as I know has been mentioned.

josh,would this be a good way to improve thoracic mobility?

iDWNVp2Ht0Y

Coach Sommer

Actually to my eye, the primary issue that causes Mats to lean slightly forward during his press is that his glutes/upper hamstrings are still too tight.

This is a common problem and is best illustrated by the difference between a pike stretch with a curved back and a pike stretch with a straight back. It is not that the straight back is harder on the "lower back" per se (although it will certainly feel that way), but that it greatly increases the stretch on the upper hamstrings/glutes.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

That makes sense... I didn't mean that the open shoulder thing had anything to do with the press on the way up, just the handstand position at the end. Of course, that may just be a lack of practice regaining the open position once in the handstand too... I don't know if there is actually an issue with flexibility, that just stood out to me.

Wasn't even thinking about what you noticed Coach! :)

I clearly need to be paying more attention, that really should have been obvious. :oops:

Nic Branson

That starting position flexibility looks like mine right now. Not a good thing.