Forum Meta: "New posts" not cycling

Started by Aaron Griffin, April 30, 2012 · 20 Replies · 4,131 Views

Aaron Griffin

I like to bookmark the "view new posts" link ( search.php?search_id=newposts ) and visit that to check these forums. In the past, this appears to "refresh" after a visit. I'd check once and see 10 posts; check an hour later and the original 10 posts would be gone replaced by new stuff.

However, this doesn't seem to be behaving the same anymore - old "new posts" are still visible after over a week.

Scott Malin

I haven't had this issue, but I will check into it and try to reproduce it myself. Has anyone else experienced this?

Scott Malin

How long do you remember it doing this? Longer than about a week?

Aaron Griffin
Cory Fair said:
How long do you remember it doing this? Longer than about a week?

Right after the main site redesign, it was fine. I know for a fact the problem existed last week and today.

I'm going to actually try logging off and clearing some cookies to see if this fixes it

Scott Malin
phrak said:
Cory Fair said:
How long do you remember it doing this? Longer than about a week?

Right after the main site redesign, it was fine. I know for a fact the problem existed last week and today.

I'm going to actually try logging off and clearing some cookies to see if this fixes it

What is the oldest date both of you have "new posts" for?

Scott Malin
Zach Armijo said:
April 21st for me. It is cross platform for me. Same on phone, iPad, and computer sh

owing all posts since April 21st.

That helped a lot to isolate the problem, thanks. I'll put in the fix tonight.

Aaron Griffin

Awesome. Logging out seemed to clear the queue of them, but I imagine it won't really stop the problem. Good to know you found it, though

Scott Malin
phrak said:
Awesome. Logging out seemed to clear the queue of them, but I imagine it won't really stop the problem. Good to know you found it, though

I fixed what appears to be the bug and it should work properly now. If for some reason it starts collecting old posts again, let me know or feel free to send me a PM.

Aaron Griffin
borat.jpg
Aaron Griffin

Hmm, on second thought, I'm not entirely sure this worked. When I got to the office today, I still see old "new posts" from yesterday...

Scott Malin

Tried a couple more tweaks. Let's see if these corrected the problem.

Aaron Griffin
Cory Fair said:
Tried a couple more tweaks. Let's see if these corrected the problem.

It looks happy on this visit. Will reply again by the end of the day

FREDERIC DUPONT

What is happening now is that the list of new posts is updated each time the search is refreshed.

That is, in case there are new posts that you have not read yet, and you update the page, these posts are purged from the list... it is not very convenient; many times it is not practical to real all the posts in one go, and we like to keep some for later.

Here is my suggestion:

I think it should be possible to set the settings so the threads with unread posts appear, instead of new posts since last visit; it may even be possible to have a list of threads with unread posts updated in the last 24 hours, followed by a list of threads with unread posts updated earlier.

In this last case, all the unread threads with recent posts appear on top; when read, these threads are purged; if for some reasons there is no time to read it all today, the threads with unread posts are still listed below; when read, they are purged. If the list becomes too large, a mark all as read will reset all lists.

At the bottom of the page, there is a "mark all posts as read" link that allows everyone to reset the counters and avoid long lists.

Fred

Scott Malin

Fred,

Is this happening immediately or have you logged in/out, changed computers, etc? The boards should give you the same list of new posts for a given session. For example, I just logged in and it displays 9 new posts for me. I have gone back to it after reading several different threads and it still displays the 9 posts that were new this session. So for you, it resets to 0 after you've read any threads?

Unfortunately, it's not a simple matter of settings on the board to make that change. Our forum software has a notoriously bad search engine and I'd need to rewrite a fair bit of code to implement that.

Edit: While I wrote this, we had another new post. The search updated my count to 10 but did not purge anything previous from this session. This is what should be happening for you.

FREDERIC DUPONT

The sequence went as follows Cory Fair:

1- opened the forums this morning and did a search for new posts. (there were maybe 12 threads listed with new posts)

2- I read maybe 3 or 4 threads, then put my laptop to sleep for an hour.

3- upon coming back, I refreshed the page and it then showed a list of 6 threads which were (I guess) the threads with posts updated while I was away.

Some of the threads I had not read did not display; I later found them going through each forum.

The numbers above are "best guesses"; I did not keep a count.

Please do not spend an unreasonable time writing code Cory Fair, the unread threads are easy to find in each sub forum, that works well too, no worries. Better spend that time training ;)

Fred

PS1: That would be cool if the search unread posts since last visit had a shortcut on the forum main page.

PS2: for a few days last week, the forum would not keep me logged in for any duration, nor would it log me in automatically each session - this glitch has disappeared now; it works well.

Aaron Griffin
FredInChina said:
At the bottom of the page, there is a "mark all posts as read" link that allows everyone to reset the counters and avoid long lists.

Maybe I am blind, but I don't see this

Scott Malin
phrak said:
FredInChina said:
At the bottom of the page, there is a "mark all posts as read" link that allows everyone to reset the counters and avoid long lists.

Maybe I am blind, but I don't see this

Same level as the view new posts, but all the way to the right. It'll say either "mark forums read" or "mark topics read."

Aaron Griffin
Cory Fair said:
phrak said:
FredInChina said:
At the bottom of the page, there is a "mark all posts as read" link that allows everyone to reset the counters and avoid long lists.

Maybe I am blind, but I don't see this

Same level as the view new posts, but all the way to the right. It'll say either "mark forums read" or "mark topics read."

Oh. It's at the top of the page, and only on the board index for me.

Either way, Cory, your fixes seem to be functioning more as they used to now

Scott Malin
phrak said:

Oh. It's at the top of the page, and only on the board index for me.

Either way, Cory, your fixes seem to be functioning more as they used to now

Excellent, the scotch tape worked. :)

FREDERIC DUPONT

Yes, sorry, at the top of the page, my bad :oops:

The "Active Threads" search fits the bill for my earlier suggestion - this is great! :)

Thanks

Fred

Aaron Griffin
Cory Fair said:
Excellent, the scotch tape worked. :)

This is the most concise definition of all forms of programming and computer work ever.