Anterior Deltoids (shoulders)

Started by Sailor Venus, April 29, 2012 · 4 Replies · 3,016 Views

Sailor Venus

As I was practising handstands against a wall, when I stay in that position for too long, most of the time my shoulders are the first body part to collapse followed by the bum and then I'll be on the floor. I believe the shoulders are the weakest link in my handstand. Is there a way of building power and improving shoulder strength? Is doing handstand push ups against a wall sufficient? I've been doing that for some time.

Also, a parkour practitioner showed me an exercise where he bent over and put his hands (like a pike) on the floor and slowly lift both his feet up in the air and parallel to his head resulting into a free handstand. Does that exercise emphasise a lot on the same shoulder muscles? I tried to copy him but couldn't.

Cole Dano

Shoulders are commonly the weak link in HS.

There is some carry over from HeSPUs, but more from Cast Wall Walks, and HS Wall Runs, though you might want to start the Wall Runs by just lifting your hand off the floor while strongly driving into the opposite trap.

Stomach to the wall HS is also outstanding and should be the most important exercise at this stage, you can start them quite far out from the wall at about 45 degrees. This will tax the shoulders much more than back to the wall HS.

Sailor Venus

thanks man.

Does the L Straddle uses the front shoulder muscles a lot too, to help stop your legs from touching the arms? And to lift your legs up so you're changing into a handstand from that straddle?

Nic Branson

It really sounds like your shoulder girdle as a whole needs the work. You anterior delts are likely feeling the brunt of it due to poor upper back (traps, rhomboids etc) development and control, lat awareness helps and comes with time as well. Cole's advice will work on all of that.

Sailor Venus

yeah his advice will work. I figured out Cranks should help too and Carpet Cleaners. hey Nic, we live in the same city! But not in the same country, LOL!