Help me understand straight arm support on rings

Started by seiyafan, April 29, 2012 · 7 Replies · 3,226 Views

seiyafan

Because of the hyper-extension of my elbow, during XR support and PL, should I strive for a visually straight arm with lots of control or push the way to the end? (I am talking about 10 degrees of hyper-extension)

alec_ar

Im far from the most knowledgeable person to give you advice, but from what I know and being someone with pretty decent hyper-extension as well, I believe you are still required to fully lock the elbow out. Almost straight is still not 100% straight. Apparently hyper-extension can become a problem when training advanced strength skills, and maybe if you're abnormally hyper-extended, you should take things slower. But I for one always fully lock my elbows out when I train straight arm movements. Don't know if that helps

Brian Li

I have some degree of hyperextension in my elbows too and I always lock my arms for straight arm work too. It is more difficult than having it slightly bent to look straight.

seiyafan

Yeah, that's the problem. I feel that if I put a lot of weight on my locked elbow it's gonna snap and bones might pop out. The joint is just not strong enough to handle that much weight.

Falcon

Lock out.

Ian Myers
seiyafan said:
Yeah, that's the problem. I feel that if I put a lot of weight on my locked elbow it's gonna snap and bones might pop out. The joint is just not strong enough to handle that much weight.

If you feel any pain, stop immediately and watch slizzardmans bicep tendon video. (its easy to find on youtube, just go to the slizzardman channel)

seiyafan

Thanks. Actually I have been doing planche lean on rings with RTO and it felt pretty effectively.

FREDERIC DUPONT
seiyafan said:
(...) it's gonna snap and bones might pop out.

That would not be good... Please be careful! :)