Tricep Pain During Pull ups

Started by Michael Miskelly, April 28, 2012 · 3 Replies · 8,136 Views

Michael Miskelly

Hi guys just looking for a second opinion here. I have what feels like DOMS soreness in the long head of my right tricep when I am in the beginning phase of a pull up. I have tried push ups and don't feel it so I'm guessing it is tightness of the tricep rather than an injury. I never really stretch my triceps either so I guess that doesn't help matters.

What would you guys recommend? I'm thinking some focused SMR around the triceps, lats and teres major along with dedicated tricep stretches should solve the problem.

Thanks for any help in advance,

mic

Joshua Naterman

You got it, all you can really do is roll, stretch, and work with some bands for warm up. Roll infraspinatus and teres minor with a tennis ball or lacrosse ball and see if that helps. Rear delts as well.

Nic Branson

Make sure you have horizontal pulling mixed in. The excess tightness could be a sign of some imbalance. If you got it covered the roll it out. Spend a couple minutes rolling the area out before you train.

Michael Miskelly

Thanks for the replies guys, helpful as usual.