Hi all, I have a problem with learning the backhandspring, I can do a fairly OK roundoff and standing back tuck and my handstand is OK (I practice wall runs and stomach to wall handstand nearly everyday) but when I try to learn backhandspring, two thing happen:
1) either I tuck/pike my legs as soon as they leave the ground, result= crashing into my head
2) or I dont have enough of a arch and I land on my head (ouch)
I go to an adult gymnastics class once a week and I can do the back handspring drill over a barrel with no problems, but once there is no barrel its like my hips/legs freak and want to tuck/pike as soon as they leave the floor and I can't maintain the arch position.
My coach has not being able to come up with a drill to help me get past this problem, I will try to post a video next time but any suggestions?