Forum Search Function Modification Request

Started by Eric Xavier, April 24, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,106 Views

Eric Xavier

First of all, I'm sorry in advance for creating this topic, and if it is in the wrong place, but I cannot seem to be able to search for a lot of topics which I am interested in reading deeply. For example, "handstand" "L Sit" "Ring Dips" or similar terms are not accepted by the search function. The search ignores the quotation marks and treats most FSP, FBE names as 'too common and ignored in query."

This makes it nearly impossible to topic search the gold mine of knowledge in this forum for specific exercises.

I know the search function is processor intensive and that is probably why the 'too common' words were expanded to cover such a broad range, but this forum has SO much good information that I find it invaluable for us to be able to search for topics specifically for "L Sit" or "Front Lever" "Insert your FBE/FSE here" etc etc. I would imagine implementing a search flood control would be better than barring search words if this comes from processor concerns.

I'm sure there are excellent posts on all these 'common' topics but one cannot search for specific exercises (at least I can't I get that search word too common error). Especially if one were to select "Search Topic Titles Only" I'm sure a lot of invaluable threads would come up for one's specific questions, cutting down on repeat questions. I can only imagine how moderators are getting fed up with answering the same topics over and over, but since the search script essentially bars you from searching for such important terms, it seems inevitable.

Would it please be possible to modify this? I'd really love to search topics only for many things and see all the great feedback given, but simply cannot at this time.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a nuisance

Kim Jongseong

Here's a solution

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5692

Eric Xavier

Hey Richard, thanks for the pointer!

Yes using google search with the site: operator is an ok-ish shoelace fix, however there is no way to refine your search as a forum search allows you (such as searching only topic titles, or searching specific subforums, posters etc).

It is of course much better than not being able to search at all, so thanks for pointing it out (I'm actually using it now to sift through results on interested topics, now that you reminded me of it :) ). But unless the website is lacking a technical admin that can implement the basic changes necessary to the search function, (which might be the case, I don't know) I do not see a reason to keep a crippled search function on the forums in the first place.

Thanks again for the pointer, having used it to search some long lasting questions, I feel like kid in a candy store. :D

Scott Malin

Try your searches again, they should now work correctly. Please note that there is a 4 letter minimum to words in search--"Lsit" or "L-Sits" would be fine, but "L-Sit/L Sit" will not work. At the next server maintenance I will update the appropriate settings to allow shorter words. If you come across any further problems with the search, don't hesitate to let me know.

Eric Xavier

Awesome news, thanks so much Cory! This day just keeps getting better and better. :D

Thank you so much for updating this, there is such useful information buried in this forum, that being able to search and sift through it is invaluable. Going to keep me busy for a long long time. :)