Ok, I'm back, I left for a while and was enjoying using kettlebells for a while but haven't made a great deal of progress, infact its served to highlight my weaknesses through repeat shoulder problems and injuries and my gross over estimation of what I'm capable of. Last time round I was following the WOD's and was getting a bit frustrated at times with not being able to get through them or not scaling properly. This time round I'm going to try and take a more simple approach, be more honest with myself so I can build up a decent work capacity and keep going in the long term.
I really wanted to progress my pressing strength as I knew it was weak but was unaware of how poorly balanced my shoulders are. Tight pecs on right side, tight lats, weak/under active lower traps and external rotators on left side. Mobility work has to take a fairly high priority and I'll be doing a lot of wall extensions on the floor, supine overhead stretches, TrP work, foam rolling. I'll also be putting some Cuban rotations and external rotator work in a couple of times a week and other mobility exercises picked up from here, the Inside-Out and Magnificent Mobility ebooks. There are so many mobility exercises I ought to be doing but for now I'll be prioritising the biggest problem areas for me, t-spine and shoulders.
Ballistic kettlebell exercises have helped with strengthening my posterior chain and highlighted my poor hip mobility so I'm going to hold on to doing swings after each session Program Minimum style. I may change one of those to a lighter snatch session or a heavy (briefer) swing session at some point but for now the swings are working well. Hamstring flexibility and hip mobility has come on a lot since using the kettlebells as well so thats good news.
As for the upper body strength I'm going to focus on Pushups and Rows in there most simple form for the time being based on Joshua's pullup program. I'd like to get 10x10 for each, then I'll repeat this with feet elevated and start adding dips and pullups to my weekly schedule once 10x10 is achieved with feet elevated.
FSP's
Its been a while since I tried any of this so I tested them and heres how I did:
Plank 60s
Rev Plank 60s
Arch 60s
Hollow 30s
PB Lsit tuck 60s
Deadhang 60s
Inverted Hang 60s
(supinated+pronated)
Ring Support 50s
German Hang 20s
Handstand 30s
For now my focus will be on Hollow, Wall HS, Ring Support and German Hangs. L-sit work would be a good idea but I'm not sure this is worth pursuing till I have a 60s Hollow, any feedback appreciated ![]()
As for diet, I've been eating fairly cleanly using the LeanGains method which fits quite nicely with my schedule now. Bodyfat was around 18% when I started and I'm down to about 14-15% now. Eating +10% on training days and -30% on rest days. When I get to around 10% I'll have a crack at +20/-20%. I find this by far the easiest way to eat ![]()
I'll be training Mon, Wed, Fri and each session will look something like
Joint mobility
60s Plank, Rev Plank, Arch, Deadhang
FSP's
Hollow 4x15
Wall HS 4x15
Ring Support 4x25
German Hang 6x10
Press Ups (regular and diamond)/Rows, back to back sets with a brief rest after 5th set
Currently doing
Pushups 10x5
Rows 1x5 + 9x4
(could probably do more rows but am still needing to focus on perfect form)
Maybe some Cuban rotations next and ext rotator work? Suggestions for this please!
Finish with 32kg KB swings (currently doing 160/12mins)
Need to get some core stuff in there as well. Perhaps:
Mon – V-up variation
Wed – HLL variation
Fri – Straight body variation
Any suggestions or constructive critiscism welcome.
I'll be sticking with bodyweight mainly from now on so I'm looking forward to getting involved in the GB community again.
Rich ![]()