Handstand for critique

Started by Howell, April 21, 2012 · 4 Replies · 1,543 Views

Howell

Here's my average Handstand.. I can kick up and find the sweet spot pretty easily now but I always loose it around the 5 to 10 second mark. I do fine when I need to balance with my finger tips but when my feet start to fall (toes first) I can't press hard enough with the heel of my hands to compensate. Does anyone know what I should work on here?

7wK60pSyURk

Nic Branson

Looking pretty good. Try a warm up set of Face the wall version then kick up and see. Your shoulders are a bit closed still, also make sure to extend that shrug, get your traps active and involved. I've also found working on a tuck handstand to help with the problem you're having. If you under balance with your center of gravity already moving that way you'll never hold it.

jl5555

It will take a bit of time to build up that strength connection in the inversion as your shoulders aren't used to it yet. A bit more open on the shoulders, as others have described it here before, feel like your arms are two tennis balls pressing into your ears.

yuri marmerstein

Your line is not too bad, just need a bit more open shoulders and flatter back.

However, my main concern for you is the amount of shoulder and hip movement. if you want to hold it longer than what you are now, you need to learn how to lock the shoulders and hips.

Imagine balancing a broomstick vertically on your hand, not so hard right? Now try the same thing with a three section staff. If you are moving your hips and shoulders in HS you are adding extra variables to the equation.

Work basic body tension drills before your handstand practice.

Howell

Great! Thanks Yuri I'll work on that.