Keeping the legs straight

Started by Aaron Griffin, April 19, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,096 Views

Aaron Griffin

I try real hard to keep my knees locked out in various skills (handstand kick ups, v-ups, l-sits, etc) but a lot of the times when I record myself, I notice I seem to be just SLIGHTLY bent. This also occurs in longer pike stretches and the like, too - my knees seem to unlock ever so slightly.

So aside from "just try harder" are there any tricks to ensuring your knees stay locked? Is there some specific flexibility I should be working on?

Cole Dano

One 'secret' is to strongly point your toes.

You can also try that in the pike stretch, as it takes the calfs out of the stretch, it's easier to keep the legs straight.

Also with the pike, you might just be coming in more than your hamstring flexibility allows. Back off a bit to the point you can straighten your legs, and then compress again.

Aaron Griffin
Cole Dano said:
Also with the pike, you might just be coming in more than your hamstring flexibility allows. Back off a bit to the point you can straighten your legs, and then compress again.

I think that's pretty much it - too much lower back bending. Sigh.

How do you get pull from the feet in a pike with pointed toes? Its harder to pull from the heel like that.

Pretty sure I just need to work on always pointing my toes in everything I do.

Cole Dano
phrak said:

How do you get pull from the feet in a pike with pointed toes? Its harder to pull from the heel like that.

Sorry I don't understand.

Aaron Griffin
Cole Dano said:
phrak said:

How do you get pull from the feet in a pike with pointed toes? Its harder to pull from the heel like that.

Sorry I don't understand.

It just feels awkward to grab the heels to pull forward with the toes pointed. Like this: pk001.jpg

It wasn't a real question really. Just kind of musing about