Chinese Gymnastic Team's Preparation for Olympics...

Started by Brian Li, April 18, 2012 · 6 Replies · 3,408 Views

Brian Li

Here is a video of the status of various Chinese elite gymnasts' preparations for the London Olympics. It also features Yan Mingyong @ 45s doing maltese weight drills/presses with what appears to be 45 lb or 20 kg weight plates relatively easily. It looks pretty crazy, I can only do these with 22.5 lb dumbbells for 5 reps. So I have a very long way to go to match up to his pushing strength. :( Has anyone here done these before and with how much weight? I noticed that Yan Mingyong does his like a straight arm version of a shoulder width bench press while I do mines imitating a back lever press to maltese to planche where I try to keep the weights in line with my hips throughout the whole movement. Also legendary Chinese WAG vaulter Cheng Fei is back. :)

ZrQ7mYWT32A

Erich Lin

i'm assuming he is doing that as prehab, and not actually his main workout (as in if he really wanted to, he can probably do like 15 of those so he's probably not doing it for maximal strength gain). just a hunch

Joshua Naterman

Those are probably 10kg plates, almost certainly warm up.

Brian Li

Yes, I'm pretty sure that he wasn't doing that for his strength work and most likely for prehab or warm up. He can probably do it with 60 lb weights if he wanted to. I didn't know they were 10 kg plates, I thought it looked more like 20 kgs or 45 lbs. What amazed me was that he was doing those with such heavy weights (or so I thought).

Joshua Naterman
B1214N said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure that he wasn't doing that for his strength work and most likely for prehab or warm up. He can probably do it with 60 lb weights if he wanted to. I didn't know they were 10 kg plates, I thought it looked more like 20 kgs or 45 lbs. What amazed me was that he was doing those with such heavy weights (or so I thought).

I am quite positive he can. I do those with 20 lbs, and I'm nothing compared to those guys.

Alvaro
Joshua Naterman said:
B1214N said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure that he wasn't doing that for his strength work and most likely for prehab or warm up. He can probably do it with 60 lb weights if he wanted to. I didn't know they were 10 kg plates, I thought it looked more like 20 kgs or 45 lbs. What amazed me was that he was doing those with such heavy weights (or so I thought).

I am quite positive he can. I do those with 20 lbs, and I'm nothing compared to those guys.

Yep just maybe double height and weight... 8)

Joshua Naterman
omegant said:
Joshua Naterman said:
B1214N said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure that he wasn't doing that for his strength work and most likely for prehab or warm up. He can probably do it with 60 lb weights if he wanted to. I didn't know they were 10 kg plates, I thought it looked more like 20 kgs or 45 lbs. What amazed me was that he was doing those with such heavy weights (or so I thought).

I am quite positive he can. I do those with 20 lbs, and I'm nothing compared to those guys.

Yep just maybe double height and weight... 8)

Don't forget less than half the strength! :)