When doing handstands, do we shrug shoulders too?

Started by juiop, April 16, 2012 · 2 Replies · 3,994 Views

juiop

I am still starting out on handstands. I do them against the wall as a pre-requisite before the GB WOD. I do 3x30 atm. I am doing them against the wall with my stomach facing the wall. Its very tough.

The question is, do we also shrug the shoulders too? (if that makes no sense, imagine me standing up and putting hands right up in the air, then pushing pushing my shoulders up so i get an extra stretch).

This will make it significantly harder and I find it hard to believe that people do this whenever they perform handstands, but who knows. Thanks for the help!

Cole Dano

Yes pushing the shoulders to the ears is an essential part of working handstand strength.

juiop

lol was hoping for another response. well, i guess its time to scale back once again. thanks so much for the help!