rope climbging/form

Started by Ian Legrow, April 11, 2012 · 6 Replies · 2,613 Views

Ian Legrow
Regardless of the technique used for the ascent, I generally focus on cirques during the descent.

Hey Everyone. This is a quote from Coach in the Cirque Thread. After watching serval youtube videos then watching the video in teh cirque thread, hearing the critiques given to me and reding the quote above i am slightly confused. Does it matter if i just pull myself up the rope with my arms? I have been told its best to get into a hollow position and grip the rope at chest anbd face area and continue climbing the rope that way, if so why? after the quote above and seeing many videos i am now confused. Maybe i have taken the quote above out of context, and maybe its silly to go by videos on youtube considering a lot of them are poor form anyway. Am i over thinking this?

thabnks in advance

-Ian

Philip Chubb

I like to go full ROM with my rope climbs.

Ian Legrow

ONe weird thing i have nticed with the face t chest pulling is it seems to be more strain on my elbows. Where as when i pull with just my arms i barley feel it in my elbows at all. Happy to know i am not the only one who wonders this Zach. Maybe i will practice both as well

Philip: what do you mean full rom?

Ian Legrow

Thats what i was afraid of. So i Guess i will limit my climbing to one time up and down 3 or 4 times a week until that tendon gets strengthed. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you, huh? :lol:

Philip Chubb
Ian Legrow said:

Philip: what do you mean full rom?

I reach as far up as I can with my hand and pull as far up as I can. Then repeat with the other hand on top. I am working toward doing it one arm at a time.

What do you mean with chest/face?

Ian Legrow

Phillip for chest to face watch teh acsent http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=338 in this video Notice dillions hands stay at his face and his chest the whole way up

Philip Chubb

Makes sense. Thanks guys!