Adv. Tuck Planche

Started by Ian Legrow, April 8, 2012 · 10 Replies · 3,178 Views

Ian Legrow

Just wanting to see if i need to worrect anything!

zGAy-wVUJsU

Brian Li

Looks good to me. Only thing I can think of is maybe try stabilizing your hips a bit because you seem to a bit wobbly, which will come easily the more you spend time on the planche.

Nic Branson

It looks pretty damn good.

As you lean into it, protact your scapula more. Really force them into position and hold it while increasing the lean. This should make it feel more like you are "rocking" into position and not needing to kick any at all. Part of that is strength and part balance.

If you don't feel what I am describing let me know. I really try not to over coach. Movement should be discovered as naturally as possible by the athlete in my opinion with only as much guidance and needed.

Sent from iPhone so hopefully the spelling is decent.

Ian Legrow

I think in this video specifically my shoudlers were comensating fro the volume. Prior to this video i did 3 other sets making sure my shoulders were protracted and for the first two i just went into it, but the last two sets (this video was the last set) i think my body was tired and i forgot to focus on form. Thank you all for your input and i will use it all!

Joshua Naterman

Do you feel your lats kicking in? That's probably the most important thing to learn, because without that the transition to straddle and full lay is not going to go much of anywhere and you will start feeling too much pressure in the front of the shoulder socket.

Looks good, but I can see the tiredness. I was actually going to comment on that specifically, you started losing form almost immediately. This is probably something you are ok with doing 3-4 sets once a week, but not more. Still time to focus more on tucked PL.

Even so, nice work!

MCem222
Joshua Naterman said:

Looks good, but I can see the tiredness. I was actually going to comment on that specifically, you started losing form almost immediately. This is probably something you are ok with doing 3-4 sets once a week, but not more. Still time to focus more on tucked PL.

Even so, nice work!

Why 3-4 sets a week? I started training the tuck planche a week ago. The first few days of getting just getting used to straight arm strength I would continually press and support my body in a tuck. I didn't count set or duration, but it was way more than three to four sets. I was able to stay in a round tuck for around 20 seconds the first time I tried for time

Yesterday I tried testing a flat tuck. I can hold this position, almost a flat tuck but not quite, for 3-5 seconds. I'm not sure if its strength or balance that gives out first, I plan on posting form videos when I'm at least a month into training it.

Photo of flat-ish tuck:

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q245 ... anche1.png

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but why train only 3-4 sets/week when tuck planches don't seem to lead to a lot of fatigue? What is the limiting factor preventing higher volume? I suspect my limiting factor might be giving my elbow tendon time to strength, as it was sore after the first day of straight arm training

Should the sets be maximum or submaximum effort? When the advance tuck can only be held for 5-10 seconds, should one work on longer holds of a regular tuck?

Ian Legrow

Thank you to all! I was actually talking to my wife about it yesterday and although she had know idea what i was saying, she was willing to listen. I figure i will go back to the Tuck PLanche and continue to train that until it is absolutly stable, maybe revisiting th adv tuck for fun once in a while. Felling it in the lats definitely gives me the goal i have to strive for. Thanks Josh! I think the reason i went to the adv tuck to begin with is my tuck position my back is not rounded like in the book but its not flat either. SO i will work on all of these things becasue the planche is definitely something i would like to get better at!

You need to wear those pajama pants from your earlier HS videos to get the proper weight distribution...

After reaqding this i almost spit the drink that was in my mouth all over the computer screen. that was FUNNY!
Ian Legrow

I actually Found this thread yesterday you mentioned Zach and oddly enough i had never seen it before! I tried it yesterday and wow, you were right. Lots of difference. And the fact that in read every thread on this web site except a few, is probably becasue i really have zero life outside of gymnastics and Hadbalancing :wink: and that might not work for some people :lol:

Howell

Can you post a link to the post by Mr.Joshua? I haven't been able to find it yet.

Ian Legrow

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7851&p=70037&hilit=activation#p70037

here you go!

Howell

Man you're quick! Thanks!