This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A workout for all skill levels.

Started by Volodzko, October 10, 2008 · 4 Replies · 1,026 Views

Volodzko

Have a look and let me know what you guys think. I thought this would be a good way for me to make progress alongside two of my buddies despite all of us having different skill levels.

1. Bridgework (I'll do some walkovers while they do bridge holds)

2. Front tumbling (rolls, handsprings, tucks...whatever people are comfy with)

3. Back tumbling (same as above)

4. Sits (1 min. accumulated holds...L-sits or N-sits according to ability)

5. Planchework (1 min. acc. holds, each on their own progression)

6. Manna-sits (1 min. acc. holds, legs straddled, as high as possible)

7. Press holds (1 min. acc. holds, hold at press handstand start, feet hovering just above the floor, back as straight as possible)

8. Straddle sits (1 min. ac. holds, legs on outside of arms, as high as poss.)

9. Muscle-ups (4 sets of 2-5 with or without a springboard)

10. Lever work (1 min. acc. holds, tucked or whatever, front and back)

11. Support swing (on pbars, nice and gentle, with good form...)

12. Handstands (1 min. acc. holds)

Maybe some press handstand stuff in there too. Am I missing anything?

Volodzko

Should add that every morning I do pistol jumps, v-ups, arch-ups, and elevated handstand-pushups (shoulders to the bar or below).

Blairbob

No idea what you're doing for leg work. Glute-ham should probably be in there. I will admit it's a pain to set up.

Press HS, definitely. You should also be doing a lot of HS variants ( walking, press drills, kicking up to free ).

Circle work, starting in a bucket if necessary.

Just be careful in programming all of this stuff, because you have a lot on mind apparently. It sounds like you have plenty of time versus many other people who are training.

Rope climbs? Maybe not accessible.

Volodzko

Legs? I do pistols jumps, I run almost every day, I often bike, and every once in a while I do some barbell squats with as much weight as I can take.

Sadly, I have no mushroom with which to use a bucket. I have some old pbars that can't be set high enough to do much, some rings, a pommel horse and a floor. I'll take your advice and put more emphasis on handstand and press work -- the other guys can yet do press handstands so that'd be great for them and honestly my form isn't what it should be so it'd be good for me too.

Time? Ha ha I'd say I could afford to spend up to four hours a day or more if I only knew what to fill it with...other than making sure my mates make good progress I'm personally focusing on planche, levers, L-sit/straddle press to handstand, V-sits, other stuff to stay fit but for now I want to zero in on those skills till I have them and then move on to what's next.

Blairbob

I don't reccomend using a mushroom for bucket work. If you skip, your fall is greater and more dangerous. Not good. Eventually it can be good to work on a pommel horse with no legs or a mushroom top on floor.

I have let kids sometimes do basic bucket work on a mushroom. Generally this was because the bucket was hanging was not rigged for floor usage and their size.

You have a pommel horse? Start with basic swings into leg cuts besides around the worlds and scissor drills ( false scissors or false scissor timers ).