Handstand critique please!

Started by Olly, April 5, 2012 · 3 Replies · 1,241 Views

Olly

I've been trying handstands against the wall a lot and a few just kicking off but once I feel the position is about right, I can't hold it.

I have never filmed myself practising handstands before and I see that I should be straightening my legs more but I'm not sure what else I can do to improve?

CtBgjLOK_RY

Thank you for your time :)

Nic Branson

I would suggest looking up Face the wall handstands on the forums here and starting there. It makes a huge difference and pays for what seems like a backwards start (which it is not) with huge gains in proper shape and strength when you go to free balance.

Olly

I've tried those but I shall give them more time then. I'm just worried about walling over as my rooms aren't big enough to roll out!

Nic Branson

Be patient on getting to close to the wall. As your hollow improves you will not feel like you want to topple over. Glutes tight, head not sticking out, pushing through the shoulders with your traps, and working on that hollow hold, nice flat back. Don't rush it. Rushing this part will lead to many bad habits that take even longer to break and relearn properly. Enjoy this phase and the next ones will come much easier and faster.

Hollow holds on the floor....just do them.