Apologies if there is already an answer here, I have searched to no avail. Having injured my shoulder, I am focusing on lower body flexibility, and I need some help with the pancake stretch. Most advice I have seen suggests to sit with the legs apart and then lean forward with a straight back until you're flat on the floor. Nice, but about as useful as saying that to do an iron cross simply lower yourself down from a ring support with straight arms, technically correct, but not very helpful to the beginner.
My goal is to achieve a pancake, in order eventually to be able to press to handstand. My approach and current ability is as follows:
From a seated position, I move my legs apart as far as possible. On a good day, this forms an angle of approximately 90 degrees between my legs, at which point I tend to cramp on the outside of the hip rather than reaching the stretch limit of my adductors (although these require work too.) In this position, I am lucky if I can even sit up vertically, let alone lean forward at all. I don't seem to be making much progress from here, and suspect that I need a more remedial position. In terms of hamstring flexibility, I can in a standing pike almost but not quite get my palms flat on the floor.
Could someone please advise me of how I may train in order to be able to lean my body forward even an inch so that I might be able to progress in this stretch?
Regards.