HS press progress

Started by Ian Legrow, April 4, 2012 · 18 Replies · 2,365 Views

Ian Legrow

5BCZm-a-Hz8

This is me practicing on a normal day. I still don't know if my shoulder felion is 100% but i have really been trying to make it so. If anyone has any cirtiques i would appreciate it

Fox

I am really not qualified to criticise your presses, but to me they look really impressive and I'm a little bit jealous! :D

And I really like the song that you used in your video, can you tell me the name of it?

Thx

Aaron Griffin

How often do you train this again?

Nic Branson

How is your compression work coming along?

Looking good, keep plugging away.

Ian Legrow

Fox: the song is Finger Eleven "other light".

Phrak: The greatest tool one has at there disposal is capacity. Someone told me this and i did not understand it until three months later. I started practicing these a month ago. My wife goes to Dressagelessons for 2 hours five days a week. O becasuse i don't really like horses, for five, sometimes six, days a week, I train HS alone for 2 hours straight. I warm up for 20 or 30 min, then i pratice one armed HS's for thirty min, then i pratice HS press Negatives from freestanding as slow as i can for 30 min. I go back to OAHS pratice for 15 min, then i do what you saw me do on my car in the video for the last 15 min. IF i have time i goof off and just have fun. Lots and lots of time on my hands.

Nic:Thankk you! your words are always much appreciated. I am sorry, but what do you mean by compression work?

\

\Thank you all!

Nic Branson

Sit in a straddle on the floor, palms flat between your legs now keeping your palms down and legs straight lift your feet as high as you comfortably can. It's a rough description but you should get it. You'll feel the mid section compress also any possible flexibility issues or imbalance might also become known.

Ian Legrow

OHHH!!! I have not done that in a while. I will try it today! In the straddle on the floor i can drop my chest really close to the ground so hopefully the compression will be good!

Nic Branson

That's passive flex, active compression is a bit different. Can do it with legs together for active pike compression as well.

Ian Legrow

I just tried it....wow, very difficult! but i could definitely feel it in the hip flexors. SOmething that I will definitely be working on a lot!

Bruno Cochofel
Ian Legrow said:
I just tried it....wow, very difficult! but i could definitely feel it in the hip flexors. SOmething that I will definitely be working on a lot!

last exercises from the following page:

http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/16

Aaron Griffin
Ian Legrow said:
The greatest tool one has at there disposal is capacity. Someone told me this and i did not understand it until three months later. I started practicing these a month ago. My wife goes to Dressagelessons for 2 hours five days a week. O becasuse i don't really like horses, for five, sometimes six, days a week, I train HS alone for 2 hours straight. I warm up for 20 or 30 min, then i pratice one armed HS's for thirty min, then i pratice HS press Negatives from freestanding as slow as i can for 30 min. I go back to OAHS pratice for 15 min, then i do what you saw me do on my car in the video for the last 15 min. IF i have time i goof off and just have fun. Lots and lots of time on my hands.

So, is this your entire training? Do you do any direct BtGB style workouts or is it all just spending time on your hands?

Eddie Stelling

Another drill that helped me tremendously is doing assisted presses. I know most of us don't have the assistance of coachs or spotters, but if you can get someone to help you there is a great drill you can do. Have someone stand behind you such that if you were in a hand stand your back would touch there stomach, with their feet in between your hands and their legs touching your shoulders. Have them grab you by the waiste and assist you through the movement while they keep strong legs not allowing your shoulders to move forward. They can lean back while holding your waiste and bracing your shoulders which allows you to go through the entire movement with shoulders and hips stacked. Also may want to do this with a wall behind the spotter at first. It is tricky to get used to when you arrive in handstand, they might fall backwards. I would do nice and slow reps tapping the floor each time. Do straddle at first, pike is much harder on the spot.

If it is too hard for your spot to help you through the 1st press, jump to tucked handstand then have them walk up to you and set up. A 115 lb yoga instructor used to do this for me. Once the both of you get it coordinated it doesn't take much strength from the spotter. It is insane to actually feel what the whole movement feels like, I got my first straddle on my own the same night.

Ian Legrow

If you want to know my entire work out it is this.

Joint prep in the morning. I do rope pull ups (one arm extended as long as it can go, the other hand down near the first arms shoudler). I do as much as i can for each arm (one set i don't want to hurt my elbows) which happenes to to 2 reps per arm right now. I breka for 5 minutes then i do a straddle climb attempting to keep my arms in front of my chest in head while maintaining a straddle and hollow position.

I then rest for 2 or 3 hours. Drive my wife to her horse lesson and begin my HS workout, which i explained to you in the previous post. I include some Adv. Tuck planche work in there too. NMaybe about 10 minutes. I do this 5 times a week. Not Tuesday or Thursday

I then rest another 2 or 3 hours and begin my GB workout at around 5 or 6. I do 30 minutes of Joint prep, and then begin my FSP. (PLanche leans, FL flat tuck, Bl Flat Tuck, L-sit, Hollow Hold, Xr Suppport Hold, and Straddle L Low). I rest for a minute or 1 minute 30s between sets and 2 minutes betweenn exercises. Every two months i created my own SSC based on what i was able to do on the previous workout, so i take that workout (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday Schedual) and do it. This usually takes an hour and a half. I then follow that with Steve Atlas Resorative Yoga DVD which is an hour log, and 3 times a week a do 30 minutes intensive stretching. I then relax and Have a meal that consists of a Bell Pepper an avacado, a lot of meat rice a beer, and some sorece of fiber like beans (but sometimesi just eat some bran). I eat a lot of vegatables like avacados and bell peppers throughout the day. Cheeses and Silk (Soy milk) are good to eat too. I Drink 10 grams of Creatine 5 times a wek, (5 grams in the morning and 5 at night). Sleep and food is a huge part of me doing this. So there we go! :) My whole workout

Ian Legrow

Eddie: thank you very much! i will try this!

Aaron Griffin

:shock:

Are you employed? Where do you find the time!?

Mikko Saks

I posted some press to hs drills on a another thread a while ago, check those out:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8305&start=15#p74705

Ian Legrow

No unfortunatley i was laid off 3 months ago. But even still. I do not have kids and don't hang out with many people, so even when i had a job i was still working out for 5 five hours

Ian Legrow

Mikko: yes i remember you posting those. I have been meaning to try them. I used to love Ernesto Sarabia so i had watched those videos like a year ago but was not yet stong enough to practice them. I think now though tmight be a good thing to paaractice

Fox

Wow Ian!

Respect for doing this (at least for me) huge amount of training. :shock: Now i see why you improve so fast, and it is really interesting what you are able to reach with the right focus.

Btw, thx for the Music. I already got 12 Stones from another video of you and now Finger eleven.

Greetings, Chris