Homemade PB and dip station. Wood/metal

Started by OyvindBirkeland, April 3, 2012 · 9 Replies · 9,262 Views

OyvindBirkeland

Hey :D

I made me some new equipment this weekend, and was quite pleased with it. Hopefully it will give some ideas for those of us that have easier access to wood than PVC piping:)

The dip station is about 100cm high, and 110cm long. CNC machined out of laminated, finger jointed spruce. Joined together only by glue. If I knew how rigid and strong it would be, I would have built it higher.

The parallel bars is made the same way, and feels a lot better doing my advanced frog stand on than the push up bars on the same picture. The good thing about the push up bars though, is when you fall flat on you face you can throw them away and land on something soft in front of you:)

Also the dip station has a bit to many corners to land on to do anything more than dips. At least at my level...

OyvindBirkeland

Oh, and if someone wonders why I have cut outs in my blue gym mat. Its where I keep my hands when practising HS facing the wall. The mat is really nice and soft to land on when I fall down, but feels to soft to be hand standing on.

Aaron Griffin

Hmm, can you post some pictures of your ring setup over in the corner there?

OyvindBirkeland

Sure. I use the bar for pull-ups/chins. And then I do L-sit and support position on the highest rings, and push-ups on the lowest. Towel or rope around the bar makes a good pull-up variant.

Got another set of rings under my balcony for things that require more space:)

lesstime

what's the dimmsions of the wood/metal for the pushup bars

OyvindBirkeland

The wood blocks is 10cm high. The pipe is Ø40mm, and about 60cm long.

Feels solid and good.

lesstime

did you use wood glue and how deep into the wood are the holes?

OyvindBirkeland

The holes are about 40mm into the wood, and I used polyurethane glue. The polyurethane glue is good if the holes do not match the pipe exactly, as it is a bit expanding.

juliansdad

Beautiful work, especially the joinery. I am about to build a PB set and was coming on here to ask a question. I have bought a set of 6 feet of maple dowels (1.78" in diameter) and will build the base station out of wood similar to the one in this thread. My question is this: most DIY parallel bars I have seen have used some kind of mounting fixture for the bar, rather than drilling and mounting into the post like was done in the system on this post. I was looking at buying something like the attached picture, but for 1/4 of the price I could buy a drill bit and be done. Is there any benefit whatsoever in mounting the bar with a metal fixture like this or am I just as well off with drilling holes into the posts?

Thanks!

40-340-2.jpg

OyvindBirkeland

Thanks for your comments. If you use the mounting fixture there is less corners to hit if you fall, but I believe it gets more rigid with the holes. The fixture looks nice.