Training Multiple Skills

Started by Deetron, March 31, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,107 Views

Deetron

Hello Everyone,

I am new to gymnasticbodies but have been training for a few months now. My goals currently are a planche and press handstands.

Am I hurting my progression by training these skills together in the same days? Or can they go hand in hand? I currently can do an advanced tuck planche and I can then press that into a handstand (legs still bent on the way up).

I have not seen much progression lately and straddle planche seems miles away. So should I try and focus on one skill at a time?

Thank you!

D

Ian Legrow

Let's start off by saying welcome. Training both the HS press and the Planche in the same day is not a bad thing. You might want to post a couple of videos in digital coaching to make sure your form in the adv tuck planche is good, especailly seeing as how you have only been doing this a couplke of months. This being said, the press you described in your post is not a HS press. A HS press starts with your feet and hands on the ground and has you proceed to lift your feet over youtr head into a HS. Very difficult, and there are many posts on it in the Hanstand work section. IF you want to work on going to a HS from a planhce, (also known as a Planche press) you will need to wait. I would not recommend practicing planche press after a few months of BTGB work. THe planche press does not carry over into helping you with a HS press either, they are both very different movments.

SO working on HS press and planche work, thats ok, but working on planche press work and planche work in the same say, especially with how new you are (only doing it a couple of months) would be counter productive. WHy don't you start with the basics, and maybe put some videos of yourself in digital coaching so you can be sure you are doing it right, becasue nothing sucks more then working hard on something and finding out your are doing it wrong, or doing too much of something too soon and hurting yourself (which i think most of us here are victims of.

And as for slow progression, try adding more volume via akle weights or longer holds or more sets.

Deetron

Thank you for your replies. I have been doing specific gymnast training for about 6 months but I have always been in decent shape other than that.

I know that I always try to rush these things so thank you for advising me to slow down because I know i need to.

I don't have a camera currently, but i will try and get some footage for digital coaching. I haven't maxed out any abilities recently but I can do about 25 pull ups (estimate). Not sure on dips as I do most of my workouts at home and I only have paralettes and pull up bar. I can hold a tuck planche for about 30 seconds and adv. tuck planche for about 5 seconds. I have been working on psuedo planche push ups for shoulder strength but I think that my main weakness is my back and maybe my wrists.

I will try and gather more data as soon as possible.

Thank you guys!

Ian Legrow

You will want to go back to the Tuck Planche until you can hold it for straight 60 seconds. Once you can do that then you will be readyto do the advanced tuck. It might ecxplain why you have not been progressing in the advanced tuck

Deetron

I agree with you on the shorter duration and heavier sets. That is what i usually do with weight training and it pays off for me.

Thank you for directing me to that post. I definitely need to change the way I train, because I have been lifting myself into the planche rather than leaning. I am probably focusing on all the wrong muscles right now.

Thank you Ian for your response. I will also be going back to the tuck planche to make sure my form is correct.

Back to training!