This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120330

Started by Coach Sommer, March 30, 2012 · 8 Replies · 2,331 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Jump Rope

5 Depth Jumps

60 sec Jump Rope

10 Box Jumps

60 sec Jump Rope

15 Squat Jumps

Finish the workout with 2x60 seconds of Seated Toe Point Stretch.

notes:

1) Note that for today’s GB WOD, you will be performing 60 sec of Jump Rope in between each of the assigned FBEs. If you are adept enough to perform double-unders, it is only necessary to jump for 30 sec.

2) Depth Jumps - jump off an object 3’-10’ high, bending the knees but not allowing the feet to move or step upon landing. If in doubt go lower rather than higher and remember to BEND the knees upon landing!

3) The Box Jumps should be performed from a stand up onto as high a box as possible for all 4 repetitions. An excellent athlete will perform these onto a box that is at least chest high. Add weight with a dumbbell or weight vest if possible. There may be a slight pause in between each of the box jump repetitions.

4) Squat jumps should be done down a vault runway or extended grassy area. To perform the squats jumps, squat down fully and then jump as high as possible. Land, re-squat fully and touch the hands to the ground. This constitutes one repetition. Do not pause in between the repetitions.

5) Remember to focus on jumping high, not far. Continue in this fashion until you have covered the entire 20m of Squat Jumps without rest.

6) Attempt to increase the intensity of the Squat Jumps via a weight vest if you are strong enough.

7) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

8 ) Do Not skip the Seated Toe Point Stretch.

Josh Schmitter

WOD:4 rounds/rx'd rests

60 sec Jump Rope(130 skips avg.)

5 Depth Jumps(off car)

60 sec Jump Rope

10 Box Jumps(waist high)

60 sec Jump Rope

15 Squat Jumps

Standard Leg day Stretching

Notes:

-Took it a little light today with the jump ropes and squat jumps(on grass mostly stationary). Felt pretty good. Looking forward to a few rest days.

Maddened

Hi. For the depth jump, I'm supposed to step off something that's 3 feet to 10 feet high and then jump up when I land right? Or do I just land and hold still? And really? 10 feet??? Wow!

Josh Schmitter
Maddened said:
Hi. For the depth jump, I'm supposed to step off something that's 3 feet to 10 feet high and then jump up when I land right? Or do I just land and hold still? And really? 10 feet??? Wow!

2) Depth Jumps - jump off an object 3’-10’ high, bending the knees but not allowing the feet to move or step upon landing. If in doubt go lower rather than higher and remember to BEND the knees upon landing!

The notes are your friend :).

Maddened

Oop... Embarrassing! :oops:

Randeep Walia

My calves are still fried.

I was confused about the depth jumps too. I looked them up on YouTube and all the examples were jumping off a high box, landing and then immediately jumping onto a shorter box. That's not the way they are described here, but I was wondering what the benefit of this movement is just dropping from a height and what we should be focusing on during the landing.

Thx

Coach Sommer
... I was confused about the depth jumps too ... I looked them up on YouTube and all the examples were jumping off a high box, landing and then immediately jumping onto a shorter box ... That's not the way they are described here, but I was wondering what the benefit of this movement is just dropping from a height and what we should be focusing on during the landing...

- There would have been no confusion if the notes for this particular GB WOD had been reviewed carefully. :)

- The benefit of mastering box jumps and depth jumps first is that it allows you to gradually condition the connective tissue throughout the foot and lower leg until you are able to safely handle the type of rebounds mentioned above.

- Attempting rebounds from an elevated height prematurely, especially under parameters of suddenly increased load and volume, is responsible in large part for the current rash of achilles ruptures within the crossfit ranks.

Rebounding work is an very powerful tool within the fitness toolbox; capable of providing spectacular results when employed properly. Alas, in the climate of today's "hurry up, I want to be awesome right now" fitness environment this is seldom the case and they are usually employed in a haphazard unintelligent manner.

I will leave you with one final thought, "A knife is supposed to be sharp; it is up to the user to possess the knowledge to properly employ it without getting cut."

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Josh Schmitter

Thanks for that Coach. Some more info to add into the leg/plyo bookmark folder :).

Randeep Walia
Coach Sommer said:
Rebounding work is an very powerful tool within the fitness toolbox; capable of providing spectacular results when employed properly. Alas, in the climate of today's "hurry up, I want to be awesome right now" fitness environment this is seldom the case and they are usually employed in a haphazard unintelligent manner.

Thanks coach- what sort of moves does rebounding help with? I just watched some old videos of Joe Eigo and marvelled at the insane height he gets from his roundoff... is that an example of the type of results you are talking about?