Diamond Pushups

Started by Bobby B, March 29, 2012 · 5 Replies · 6,595 Views

Bobby B

When doing diamond pushups, I'm finding that my elbows can spread anywhere from being along the side of my body to just short of perpendicular to my body (out to the side). It depends on the direction I place my hands under the centre of my chest.

Is there a 'correct' position? Or can the full range be performed for different benefits?

Joshua Naterman

You generally want the elbows close to the body, and as you get stronger move the hands more towards the shoulders until the knuckles are under the shoulder sockets. Done properly, this is A) extremely difficult and B) excellent elbow prep for slow muscle ups.

Bobby B

Thanks Slizz

Blairbob

Dya think working them down to the forearm and up is a better use of time. Ya know, similar to Russian dips? Tiger push up or some odd name?

Joshua Naterman

What I am talking about is full flexion of the elbow without the elbows or forearms bearing any weight at all. This produces the most stress in the tricep, which is why it is a really good idea to scale slowly into the final version.

Compared to this, "tiger" push ups that have weight on the elbows are much easier. Are they a decent intermediary step? I don't think so, unless you gradually reduce the ROM that has the forearms bearing weight until there is none. This is accomplished just as well by starting with diamonds and slowly working your way to the true tricep push up.

mikelmarion
Joshua Naterman said:
What I am talking about is full flexion of the elbow without the elbows or forearms bearing any weight at all. This produces the most stress in the tricep, which is why it is a really good idea to scale slowly into the final version.

Compared to this, "tiger" push ups that have weight on the elbows are much easier. Are they a decent intermediary step? I don't think so, unless you gradually reduce the ROM that has the forearms bearing weight until there is none. This is accomplished just as well by starting with diamonds and slowly working your way to the true tricep push up.

Slizz do you have a picture or vid? Is this just a diomand pushup?