The other day I was playing with the lat pulldown machine and I finally realized why my pull-ups are still weak. Before I would never touch a machine because I figured if you can do 5-7 pull-ups a set for a couple of sets why bother with the machine. So I put my body weight (160lb) on the machine and only managed to pull about my eye level (not even chin level). Then I thought to myself what's gonna be heaviest weight I can pull down to my nipple line, to my surprise I could only do 120lb max for one rep. Well, that explains it a lot, right? I even tried to pull the bar all the way down to my thigh and for that I would need half of my body weight to do it.
So the lesson is I will be spending the next couple of weeks if not months to try to pull the bar to my nipple line with my body weight to make my pull-ups more solid. What do you think guys?
Another question is once the bar passes the mid chest level, are different muscle groups being engaged? Because one time I felt a slight discomfort in my elbow with only 120 lb. I had never had any elbow issues doing pull-ups.