This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120327

Started by Coach Sommer, March 27, 2012 · 11 Replies · 2,601 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete the following:

3 sets of: MU to BL, pullout to FL, lower to hang, MU to XR L-sit, press up to tuck PL, lower to XR L-sit, press to shoulder stand, fwd roll to hanging L, 3 Half Cranks

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) The MU to BL is performed by executing a MU to just over the transition and then lowering with control down into a back lever. Note that it is necessary to press the shoulders forward during the descent into BL in order to maintain the correct balance. The body position of the BL may be modified as needed to accommodate your current strength levels.

3) If necessary, the MU to BL may be scaled down by performing a MU to support and then rolling backward to the BL.

4) All MUs should be performed with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition.

5) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

6) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

7) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

8 ) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL, then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

9) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Josh Schmitter

WOD: 3 sets

[-4 Chair Dips(2121)/1:40 rest

-4 Pull ups(2121)/1:40 rest

-Ring Strength 1(minus MU + roll)]

-2 more set of dips/pulls.

5x15s/60s rests

-Tuck L-sit Hang Low(about 110 degrees)

-XR Plank Hold

-German Hang

2x10 Wall Ext(303 tempo)

Notes:

First set of dips/pulls tough, after that felt pretty good. Last reps of last set tough, but I will most likely be moving on to 3x5 next time round.

Statics very hard last round.

Chris Edgar

WOD 120327

Warm up: Scap routine, novel movements for wrist/elbow, few false grip pull ups, FSP, etc...

Strength sets: 3 sets of

Slow L sit MU, back roll to inverted pike, reverse crank (half lay), one inverted curl with a 10s negative, slow negative crank down to L hang, reset false grip, MU to L-sit, press to tuck planche, L-sit, press to shoulder stand, back roll to back pull, front lever, L hang, front lever.

5 mins rest

5 x 15 german hang, XR HS, straddle/adv tuck front lever (straddle first 2 sets, adv tuck last 3, ran out of steam and wanted to maintain form lol)

2 x 10 wall extensions.

Great workout today, ring strength is always my favorite workout! :D Sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, so I took the rings to the park today! I think a few kids were abit dissapointed to lose a set of swings at first but once they realized what I was doing I actually built up quite a fanbase! The local mums didn't seem to mind either! 8) :lol:

Interesting little tidbit, the few kids that were interested enough to come over and have a little play with some basics ( e.g. support, pull ups, german hang etc) ,were actually far stronger than half my friends that are in their early 20s and have gym memberships!!! Shows how dysfunctional 90% of the general population's training is!

Matthew Mossop
Chris Edgar said:

Interesting little tidbit, the few kids that were interested enough to come over and have a little play with some basics ( e.g. support, pull ups, german hang etc) ,were actually far stronger than half my friends that are in their early 20s and have gym memberships!!! Shows how dysfunctional 90% of the general population's training is!

I assume the kids who came over don't regularly practice Gymnastic Strength Training™? So wouldn't that just say that your friends are incredibly weak? Lol.

Coach Sommer
I assume the kids who came over don't regularly practice Gymnastic Strength Training™? So wouldn't that just say that your friends are incredibly weak? Lol.

:)

It is important to emphasize that what this story actually illustrates is that most children are in complete structural balance in terms of mobility and strength; and that most of the "frailties of old age" which plague adults are more often the result of dis-use than the passage of time.

Time is the most potent of health supplements; however it can work either in your favor or against you.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Craig Wilson

I was interested to try the MU to BL transition. If I had succeeded, I would've made an effort to complete this WOD, but the transition proved too challenging, and so I ended up picking out a few elements and working on them separately. Reflecting on the day's attempts, I've had an idea as to how I might improve any future attempts I make to achieve the transition from MU to BL.

Aaron Wilson

I'm sure there's a bit of square-cube law going on, too, even though I would guess (without citation) that Coach Sommer is probably right on point about performance degradation into adulthood.

Ryan Hutchins

MU to back lever made my biceps cramp like never before :shock:

that is a Killer!

Chris Edgar

My point, as Coach states, is that regardless of how strong your average person is in a traditional gym, it has surprisingly little carryover as soon as you take them outside of their normal ROM; or put them on something as unstable as the rings; they are no more proficient than your average healthy 8 year old! :) I think we have all had a certain bit of experience in this area; it's very humbling to start gymnastic training when you already think of yourself as strong.

Oh and for the record my friends are not 'weak', for example, one such friend can benchpress 160kg for reps and squat 180kgs like theres nothing on the bar and he is incredibly muscular...

Yet can he perform korean dips? XR bulgarian dips? back/front levers? Freestanding HSPUs?

the answer (surprise surprise) is NO! :lol:

A fact I frequently enjoy reminding him of! :lol: 8)

diotrephes

Warm-up then

3 sets of:

MU reverse roll to german hang, roll forward to FL, lower, release

MU to XR L-Sit to XR straddle tuck to XR L-Sit to XR straddle tuck

then:

5x15 seconds FL tuck

5x15 seconds XR Strap shoulderstand (not full)

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

Those wall extensions feel great after so much intense ring work!

Quick Start Test Smith

If I haven't even started working on the FL progressions yet, would PB L-sit be an appropriate substitution?

Josh Schmitter
Patrick Smith said:
If I haven't even started working on the FL progressions yet, would PB L-sit be an appropriate substitution?

Hey, I would think that would be fine if L-sit was still one of your main goals. As far as keeping with similar exercises, I have been doing L-sit hangs(tuck or low). Just my cent.