I figured I'd have learned the Muscle Up after what... a week? of dedicated training. 5 months later...
My problem was moving too fast through the progression, including neglecting the first stage of Negative Muscle ups. I have since returned to this movement and have some questions on its finer points.
My idea was to exactly reverse the movement I do in my regular MU (I was last training jumping muscle ups). My technique here was to drive through the center of my chest during the pull of phase keeping my hands close together, try to point my elbows up in the transition and then push up for the dip. So when I do the negative from the top I start to lower through the dip, bring my chest over the rings and hands close in together. I try to keep my hands close together through the transition, rings perpendicular to my body.
Is this correct? I have seen videos of people doing negatives and it seems like they don't worry about keeping the hands narrow on the chest. Should I have the rings parallel to my body during the transition?
Currently my negative transition happens very fast and I have a hard time controlling it so I can see that I have a lot of work to do in this yet.