Tuck planche and bridge form

Started by Mark Bernacchi, March 20, 2012 · 8 Replies · 3,043 Views

Mark Bernacchi

Hey all, just wanted some feedback on form here.

My question about the tuck planche is if I should bother training even though I cannot keep my scaps fully protracted. Would it be better to build that strength first and come back to planche or should I work on it and it will help my scap strength along?

tuckplanche23-18.jpg

tuckplanche3-18.jpg

And for my bridge my main question is what can I do to improve mid and lower back flexibility. Also, how far should I push my shoulders past my hands? As anyone at the September seminar may remember that my shoulders are freakishly flexible so I figured I would show off at the end of the video by giving another view of how I get into a bridge :mrgreen:

3Ur9sU8cIuw

Thanks for your help!

Cole Dano

Wow that really is some fantastic shoulder mobility! From where I sit your bridge looks excellent. I think limber work would be your next step.

Regarding the Tuck PL, as you note the scaps look somewhat weak there. Are you doing Plank and PL Lean work?

Nic Branson

Think I heard my right shoulder pop out of its socket there, geesh.

Mark Bernacchi

Yup, I'm doing planks and leans, though probably not as much as I should...I'll add them back in to daily work, thanks.

And am I right in assuming that a good place to start with limber work is bridge wall walks?

Cole Dano
Mbern said:

And am I right in assuming that a good place to start with limber work is bridge wall walks?

Yes

jl5555

I think also you should look at doing some rotations into low bridge such as Ido does in his various videos. Your shoulder flexibility will help you get into those. You could easily do bridge circles.

Cole Dano

He's basically doing a two arm rotation as it is. The one arm is very pleasant to do and gives the spine a nice twist, but it's about ten steps down from what the OP did.

jl5555

Ok, I was focusing on his request for "limber" work to improve lower back flexibility, clearly his shoulder and upper thoraxic is limber enough. My interpretation of Ido's rotations is that they seem to originate more from a core rotation and not from the shoulder.

Cole Dano

Not really, in fact most people experience that it is much softer on the low back to do the rotations, because it's so good at getting it up where it belongs.