Basic FSP form videos

Started by Eric Heiden, March 12, 2012 · 13 Replies · 2,410 Views

Eric Heiden

Hi everybody,

I'm brand new here and I've recorded my first ever set of max times this weekend. I've got the videos here and I'm hoping to get a critique on my form for any/all of them.

I apologize in advance for the cheesy music in a few of them, but my wife was having a conversation in the background.

Tuck FL (29 seconds):

pCO2LfeXKqc

Tuck BL (25 seconds):

qG2UWg0_JqU

Flat tuck BL (12 seconds):

19rVhodYBz4

(The flat tuck was too hard for me I think - I don't plan on trying this again until I have the right base)

L-sit PB (23 seconds):

k09JYilza_s

Frog Stand (27 seconds):

SvWdFyBp8hg

I'd love to hear any thoughts you have. I want to put a video of my wall handstand up too. I'll do that sometime soon.

Ian Legrow

The frog stand and the front lever looked ok. Although, on the front lever you will want to make sure you leave your hips horizontal at all times. The back lever needs a bit of work. You want to turn your palms outward so they are facing your feet. The strain on the bicep tendons will increase so you will want to go bck to a back lever tuck or even a german hang if the strain is too much.

Hope this helps!

-Ian

Eric Heiden

Thanks Ian! I had read something about 'palms down' in BtGB but I didn't know what it meant at the time - I think the confusing part is that the photos in BtGB for BL tuck and flat tuck have the athletes with the same palm position that I have in the video so that was my only reference. I'm particularly inflexible in that way - turning my palms facing forward and raising my hands up behind me feels like an incredible strain on my triceps. I'll be sure to take is slow with that progression.

Cole Dano

It always nice when someone makes the effort to put up vids for review.

In the L-sit try to pull your shoulder blades down your back and draw them somewhat together. If possible, straighten the elbows and rotate the elbow so the funny bone points straight back.

Eric Heiden
Cole Dano said:
It always nice when someone makes the effort to put up vids for review.

In the L-sit try to pull your shoulder blades down your back and draw them somewhat together. If possible, straighten the elbows and rotate the elbow so the funny bone points straight back.

Wow that's a good way of explaining that. I couldn't understand how to lock my elbows more, but moving the elbow to point straight back is a great tip and even playing with that idea here on the arms of my chair I can see what you mean.

I would like to be able to do a floor L-sit but for the moment I'm not really able to get my butt off of the ground. What are the key points of the PB L-sit form to concentrate on to translate that into hip height in a floor L-sit?

Cole Dano

I think in your case it's going to be mostly about getting those shoulders down. Compression in the midsection is also a factor, but your doing that well compared to the shoulder depression.

Stay on the PBs for a while and occasionally see where you are on the floor. It's quite a bit more taxing.

Eric Heiden

So I've taken a step backwards down to working on getting the pre-reqs really solid for 3x60 seconds. Some of them I can do (plank, reverse plank, chin deadhang), and some of them I can't (hollow, arch, pb support, wall handstand). I recorded videos of each last night and was hoping for a critique on anything at all that doesn't look right.

Plank: I had been doing these on my forearms with scaps in a neutral position before, with much less core/glue contraction. I made a major effort to push hard into the ground to protract the scapula, and tried to bring the rest of my body fairly straight. 3x60 seconds left my quads and glutes feeling pretty worked, but I did it without too much struggle:

waO3V5jI8lg

Reverse Plank: Had never done these on a chair, and I think my fingers were always pointed to my toes before. I tried to retract the scaps (although I think I could do better), and keep the glutes/abs tight. 3x60s: achieved.

2g8-eUNZBow

Hollow: This one is tough because I feel like I don't know how far off the ground my shoulders/legs should be, and the difficulty changes depending on how open I am. Either way I was in the 45s, 25s, 20s time range for these. Super hard.

DgsQeW48dQI

Arch: I'd never done these with my legs tight together - wow what a difference that made! I also noticed after the first set that my shoulders look really closed, so I tried to work on that. Didn't make 3x60s at all. More like 40s, 25s, 20s.

EI5IWeJKYT4

PB support: I found out that my homemade Parallettes are uneven! One is higher than the other - I was pretty freaked out because on watching the video right after I saw one scap waaaay higher than the other. Couldn't do 3x60s. I think the last set was in the 30s range. I'll be doing these between two chairs from now on to make sure my shoulders are working evenly.

rear view:

fuzMZEwgTWM

Chin deadhang: No problem. I always feel super stretched at the end though, and never feel like I can pull up out of this, I need to put my feet on the floor and gently stand up.

Handstand: I was able to do some wall handstands again today for the first time since my wrist strain. I didn't feel any wrist problems. I didn't get a good video, but it looks like from the first one I shot that I'm tiled to the side a bit. I also felt my traps activate for the first time in a handstand position, so I think that's good.

Front view:

lQl6mYCdA0s

Side view:

M3r-UxhSJh0

Ian Legrow

IN the hollow hold: Your arms ae too high. Coach recommends using a 16-18" dowel, put it in your hands and then do the hollow hold. Doing this has severly helped me with mine

Eric Heiden

Ok I'll try that, although I don't quite understand why holding a dowel would lower my arms - maybe it'll make more sense to me when I try it.

Is there a video or essay of the hollow body hold in ideal position? I learn best by example.

Ian Legrow

This video helped me a great deal. The hollow in this is great. wrzjVTK2brk

Eric Heiden

I was under the impression that the arms were meant to be closer to handstand position in plank/arch position, no? He has fairly wide arms in hollow, and very wide arms in arch. Is there some kind of guide as to just how wide/close my arms should be? Or is the 18" dowel the standard for this?

This is what I was using as an example previously:

http://gymnasticswod.com/content/hollow-body

http://gymnasticswod.com/content/hollow ... ession-pt1

http://gymnasticswod.com/content/hollow ... ession-pt2

Andrew Lim
Cannister said:

I would like to be able to do a floor L-sit but for the moment I'm not really able to get my butt off of the ground. What are the key points of the PB L-sit form to concentrate on to translate that into hip height in a floor L-sit?

Your PB L-sit sort of resembles mine. I abandoned PBs and am now doing tuck (crossed feet) floor L. This makes me concentrate on getting lift and relieves the effort of the legs, as tucking is hard for me. I think "squeeze scaps back and down" then go into the position. Maybe try that and see if you have clearance by experimenting with different leg positions on the floor. I reckon even a low tuck with legs off a step might be a good progression to play around with to see where you can get your butt to, without the leg complication.

Here is my thread on this viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7706. I started at 10sec and am now at 38s max floor tuck L (crossed legs), pondering my next moves.

erro

The handstand has some bent arms and the stance of your hands is a little too wide. Note when you are in the handstand you're demonstrating above if you are feeling more weight pushing into the outside of your hand than anywhere else, this can be problematic for future progress. Move your hands a bit closer and try to make the arms a bit straighter. Thinking about really growing an inch taller in your shoulders and driving some more weight into the big mound of your pointer finger (although your fingers should still be 'clawed') might help you to accomplish this. This should take a little bit more of your struggle into the shoulder girdle. These videos look great! Good luck!

Eric Heiden

Wow! I just tried this and felt a huge difference. I felt much more powerful through my shoulders - and this was after I had already thought I was too tired to continue with handstands for the day (just finished a workout). Thanks for the great tip!