Tough Mudder

Started by BldyKnuckles89, March 11, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,808 Views

BldyKnuckles89

Alright guys (and girls) I've decided I'm going to do the Tough Mudder in June...and I'm freakin psyched. Now I understand this has nothing to do with gymnastics in general, but I thought I'd share it with everyone. Tough Mudder isn't about winning a marathon on crack (as I like to put it), but overcoming strenuous physical and mental challenges. The people who run this donate to the Wounded Warriors Project, which helps wounded veteran soldiers as they transition back to their once normal everyday lives. I was wondering if anyone has tried this challenge or ever heard of it, and was also hoping to get some support. If you have no idea what I'm talking about (which I'm sure a lot of folks haven't) you can either look up "Tough Mudder" on Youtube or go to their website toughmudder(dot)com. I would greatly appreciate any support...feel free to call me an idiot, jackass, moron, crazy person, etc. 8) , but I'm still going to do this and I hope this encourages others to partake as well :D

Joachim Nagler

I have never heard of Tough Mudder and just visited their website.

It looks awesome!!!

I can really understand that you're psyched and i don't think that you are are moron or whatever :)

I saw that they're in Germany in 2013 and I'm totally going to be there!

I wish you the best of luck for the event and it would be pretty cool if you posted something about it afterwards ;)

Greetings from Germany

JN

newguy5000

Yeah i heard of it and it looks awesome. Been meaning to do one of the Australian ones but got too swept up in work and my conditioning blows now. It sure looks like a lot of fun though and its certainly a worthy cause.

But let's be honest - you'd do it anyway just because running some crazy obstacle course looks fun!

People prepare for it in lots of different ways but from what i understand from reading blogs of different participants in the past that kind of crossfit-esque type metcon conditioning will serve you pretty well.

Good luck with!

Tim Webber

I did Tough Mudder Melbourne yesterday and it is great fun. Basically you're in for a lot of mud and running.

If you're relatively well conditioned gymnastically by the WODs or just general stuff you should have no problem with the upper body stuff which I was surprised by who little there was, mostly just crawling under low wires and through underground pipes and tunnels. There's also the monkey bars which are made more difficult by the bar rotating when you grab it and pulling/pushing others up and over obstacles.

Before going I figured that since there are so many people doing it that the running would be broken up and you would have to queue at obstacles and get some rest so 7km was the biggest run I did before going. I was wrong. By about the 15km of 20km mark my calf muscles were cramping and hip flexors were tightening up. There was only really a major queue (about 25 minutes) at Everest where you are going to want to be able to sprint so you can make it up the quarter pipe, so that was a welcomed rest time.

The electricity sucked. Since I hadn't got shocked on one of the earlier obstacles I didn't know what to expect. You just have to run through the cords and not stop, that wasn't the case with me, I got put to the ground by it about 1/3 of the way through and just had to get back up and keep going. A friend who did the Saturday had said to me that the electricity had "worn down' by the time he got there so it wasn't that bad but I found it to be quite a horrible and strange experience having your body tense up when ever it feels.

Also since its over two days the Saturday had 15,000 people and Sunday had 6000, so if you can do the day with less people you wont need to wait as long (over and hour on some obstacles).

You will enjoy it just try to avoid taking new shoes or ones you plan to wear after as lots of people, including me just leave them there after as the mud damage it too much.