Since you can only start iron cross work after you are proficient with the exercises of BtGB and you'll have to have a proper elbow preparation, like this...
Elbow Preparation Series for Iron Cross Work:1) XR support hold - Focusing on elbows locked and straight is critical here.
a) It is also quite acceptable to insert both XR support swings and XR swinging supports into this phase. 10 repetitions of large XR swinging supports can be especially challenging, as well as a lot of fun , while struggling to maintain the correct position.
2) XR L-sit.
3) XR 1/2 press - During this element, the athlete will press up as high as possible into a half press HS maintaining completely locked elbows and rings turned out at all times. Do not attempt to press higher than it is possible for you to maintain the correct arm/elbow position. Please note that this is an essential element in this progression.
4) XR HS - There should be a substantial degree of pressure on the biceps during a correctly performed XR HS. If this pressure is not present, in all likelihood either the elbows are bent or the rings are not turned out.
5) XR Planche variations - Some individuals may find that they are physically strong enough to proceed directly from XR HS work to the iron cross training as planche training can be a time consuming proposition. However for those who see it through, achieving a solid planche prior to beginning serious iron cross work will pay substantial dividends in the long term.
6) XR Iron Cross work.
... but I'm wondering... since I'm turning 20 this year... realistically speaking, am I never gonna get my iron cross? How about a maltese? I want to be able to do a maltese so badly! I really, really, seriously want it! :cry: :cry:
note:
I'm currently working with number 2... lol. Also, my hardest variation of planche is Tuck Planche (10 seconds max) on PB, and my hardest variation of the BL is Adv. Tuck. (15 seconds).
Thanks for the replies!
-Alex