The place of skill training?

Started by LetsTrain, March 7, 2012 · 1 Replies · 1,630 Views

LetsTrain

Hi, since I'm kind of new to the gymnastic moves, I wanted to know how to correctly incorporate skill training to my program. I'm just not sure of the difference between skill and static training since the two of them are highly related in gymnastic moves.

Now, I'm doing mini-workout of statics like L-sits, One-leg front levers, advanced tuck front lever (full front lever at 2-3 sec. hold now), Tuck planche (about 40 sec., soon moving to advanced tuck planche), handstands (current record at 1:10min. but doing generaly 30-40 sec. holds)....so I assume this kind of static strenght mini-workout (3-4x/week) is also a kind of skill training right...or a skill session need to be lighter and more movements specific?

Note that the statics progressions movements I do are not limited to the one listed.

Blairbob
o I assume this kind of static strenght mini-workout (3-4x/week) is also a kind of skill training right
Sort of, barely. L and levers just don't require A LOT of skill all in all. There are little pointers but it's not equal to the skill of a free handstand, handstand press, walking HS, chest to roll HS (there is some skill and patience in timing the roll/swing into pressing into HS).

Handstand work is more of a skill than L work and levers. Planche is more skill oriented than levers. Manna is much more of a skill than L/V/straddle-L because of the balance component.

Muscle-ups focusing on technique would also be considered skill work. Or tumbling or event work. Sprinting can be a skill, whereas jumping typically is low skill.