Y4MnpzG5Sqc
Who is Joseph Kony???
Started by John Sapinoso, March 7, 2012 · 18 Replies · 3,576 Views
Outstanding video. Thanks for sharing, ts00nami. I just shared it with everyone I know.
I wish humanity could muster the same action against infanticide and partial-birth abortions.
The United States can end this in one day if send the same military personnel sent to Afghanistan and Iraq. Oh wait, but there are only children dying and killing, there is no oil...
The United States are not the world's police force. We can't, and shouldn't, police everyone. There isn't any reason why all nations can't be equally aggressive in pursuing justice, though. There are plenty of other countries who could send military forces, not just the U.S.A.
I completely agree. But anyone with more than two neurons can sense excessive nationalism in this video, which leads one to believe the opposite of what you said.
Tread carefully, fellow gymnastika. Politics and forums. So let's just make sure to keep it civil.
However, I'll bite on it.
Actually there was a really good movie I just saw on HBO about Kosovo in the 90's focusing on Tony Blair and Bill Clinton. I think Tony Blair was the main character as it goes into him after Clinton was out of office.
In anycase, one of the points made was is the U.S. simply has the most resources and greatest military in the West. The UK is probably no 2 and everyone else basically gets lapped by the US and the UK. Of course China and Russia have fairly big armies and resources, but they aren't of the West and NATO and more often than not oppose what the UN tends to push for. A lot of it has to do with that often hotspot countries tend to have business contracts with Russia and/or China.
You can't call yourself the Leader of the free world and turn a blind eye. We tried this in WWI and WWII and guess what ended up happening. And unfortunately you can't just live in your bubble, not as a world power in the modern age.
Yes, we skirt the edge of the Monroe doctrine, playing the political games of this dictator or leader in one area and this another, take out this one, insert this one. Guess what, it's been done since about the dawn of the great conquering civilizations.
If you leave it up to the UN, it just takes forever. Nobody ends up taking the lead most of the time. And heck, it costs money and takes gumption.
Africa is a darn shame, but it's probably even more of a mess than the Middle East including Afghanistan and the other -stans. They do have metals and diamonds, but oil is probably worth more. Wacked out religions, corrupt politics. It's been hell ever since the big world powers left there.
And it's very doubtful even with a massive force unleashed, that it could be ended in one day. Iraq is a cake walk compared to Afghanistan and these african nations have similar infractures. No modern roads, just sparse towns, villages that are remote.
And when you have wacked out people in charge, it just becomes a revolving door. Take out one wacko, deal with another.
There is a reason Rome decided to just be done with it and lay waste to Carthage as did the Israelites in Canaan. This isn't done in the Modern Age, but it's more efficient.
Not to take away from the message but do your homework on this group they are not as on the up and up as you may think. The message is good one though.
@canthar I won't comment on makers of the video, this is simply to raise awareness and because I liked the message and energy. Independent research is as always recommended.
Blairbob said:You can't call yourself the Leader of the free world and turn a blind eye. We tried this in WWI and WWII and guess what ended up happening. And unfortunately you can't just live in your bubble, not as a world power in the modern age.
Yes, we skirt the edge of the Monroe doctrine, playing the political games of this dictator or leader in one area and this another, take out this one, insert this one. Guess what, it's been done since about the dawn of the great conquering civilizations.
How did we turn a blind eye in WWI and WWII when we got involved in those wars? Some would even argue that it was our entry into WWI that caused WWII by allowing the Versailles Treaty to punish the Germans as much as it did.
Also, you seem to be saying that the game of a game of installing/overthrowing dictators is ok because it's been happening for a long time. That's a fallacy. Rape, murder, and theft have also been happening since the dawn time.
Gentlemen,
An interesting discussion, however it has already drifted somewhat from the OP. Please be mindful of maintaining a proper level of civility even in disagreement. I will allow this thread to remain open for the time being, however if the tone becomes uncivil it will be locked.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Understood, Coach.
Mikael said:I completely agree. But anyone with more than two neurons can sense excessive nationalism in this video, which leads one to believe the opposite of what you said.
I didn't make the video so I can't be held responsible for the nationalism in it; however, I think the reason why the U.S.A. is so strongly pinpointed in the KONY 2012 movement is because the founder is American and went home to rally support. I am sure it will spread to Europe as well soon enough if it hasn't already.
I do agree that most countries, including the U.S. are lead by superficial motives at the top of the government and that they will not act on anything outside of personal or national gain. They sure won't do it because it's the "right" thing to do.
@BlairBob, you know your history ![]()

RatioFitness. I am not stating that dictators in corrupt oligarchies leading empires is fine by myself morally, it just is.
How did we turn a blind eye in WWI and WWII when we got involved in those wars?
Our first sentiments toward each of the wars was neutrality. Neither worked out once we were attacked by the U-boats and/or PearlHarbor. You are pretty much spot on about the Versailles Treaty. However, at the time, the US was not really in a position to say diddly about how Germany was to be treated. We were basically the errant son who had come home and saved the farm.
Eventually Africa is going to become a problem, a BIG problem. There is probably some thought of that we would rather see Extremist Christians staying in power than Fundamentalist Islam.
Unfortunately, until Iran and Syria is dealt with by the worldwide community, don't expect much to be done about Africa.
Ideally, perhaps something like the Arab spring will come about so NATO can just tag along versus the US attempting regime change as it did in Iraq.
Nice one Uzeeh ![]()
Ahaha, as much as I reflect the sympathies and the compassion that most people feel when watching that kind of YT vid, I must agree with the sentiments behind Uzeeh's post... ![]()
![]()
Hi all,
One of my cardinal rules on the internet is to not get involved in 'hot topics' on forums, especially ones I enjoy as much as this.
However, I wanted to link this blog post on the subject. Primarily for it links to the opinions of the "African People" on the Invisible Children campaign.
It is always wise to educate ourselves, there is no better way than from the people that are living though it.
This blog is written from a Christian perspective, as I said, you may be interested in it, but more interested in the links it provides.
- That guy is not going to be easy to find. He could be anywhere in congo, DRC, Kenya etc. Shout about it all you want on the internet its not going to help find him.
- The Ituri and Kivu areas in the DRC where he "may" be are pretty much just jungle. Good luck with that
- This is just an internet fad
- Arresting Kony isnt going to make too much of a difference overall
- The charity behind the movie is shady
- The footage from the documentary is from around 03-04
- The movie doesnt accurately portray whats going on in Uganda today.
- The movie is biased and fails to show the atrocities commited by the oppoition to Kony
- People are unaware what goes on on their own back door.
- There are so many guys like Kony which people dont care about.
Muddy pretty much cleared it up, IMO. Well summarized.
I doubt removing one man will change much, I guess he will have people in line to take his place. Other than that I saw a report recently claiming that the charity organization only gives away 30% of the money to the actual people in need. The rest is invested in marketing....Which is necessary too, but 70% seems excessive.