simple question on steady state cycle

Started by Alessandro Mainente, March 6, 2012 · 8 Replies · 3,199 Views

Alessandro Mainente

i understood how it works reading the post on it expecially on the isometrich movement..

so how it works for the foundamental bodyweigth exercises? i know that the idea is maintain the same reps and the same set for 8-12 weeks, after the cycle usually for the isometrich i test the max hold and recalculate the duration of the set and the number of sets..

for the FBE how i can choose the correct number of reps? simply work on the max reps that i do in the test day for the new cycle? or adding 1-2 reps?

this is the only thing that is not completely clear!!

can someone puts some clarification?

thanks

Alessandro Mainente

yes but on onse side for the isometrich you use the 50% of your new max....but for the reps? what i have to use?

Blairbob

Use whatever sets x reps for the entire 8-12 week cycle. Page 181. This could be 3x3, 3x5, 5x3, 5x5, 4x6, 10x2, 7x1, 6x8. I think you get the picture.

Alessandro Mainente

ok i understand your point blairbob, but if there is a reasonable progression for the strenth i have to add weigth/increase difficult of lever or add reps and sets..my question is if there is a logic progression concerned with this problem as for the isometrich...

fox example i did 4 set of 4 straddle planche push up for 12 weeks; now i suppose i'm stronger, what is the best way to choose the next schedule? use a number of reps that i can do with perfect tecnique? (that i suppose are more than the past cycle)

I hope I was clear about my problem..

do you understand what i'm searching for?

Blairbob

Test to find out what is your current max rep per progression. I advocate for doing this after every cycle to know where you are and where to go next.

JOSE QUINONEZ

I use sets of 1,2,3,1,2,3, which is also in the book. After all sets feel easy, I usually pick a harder variation for the sets with one rep, then once I can do the one rep , I switch that variation into the sets with two reps, and so on. For example, with dips, I would do a SSC with ring dips, then I switch in the Bulgarian dips for the sets with one rep. Once familiar with the Bulgarian dips, I would start using the Bulgarian variation for the sets with two reps and so on.

StevenL

Another option could be to follow the strict SSC and then do the FBE "by feel". Obviously, you'd set up the training week as suggested movement-wise, but sets and reps would be what feels "right" on the particular day. I you need the regiment, maybe do 4 weeks of 3 sets, 4 weeks of 4 sets, and 4 weeks of 5 sets in, say, a 12 week cycle. Or even in. 8 week cycle you could do 2 weeks of each followed by a deload week or two. Just an idea, I have no idea if Coach would second this. My guess is not because he seems to be a very regimented person, but it may work for you and, in the end, that's what you need to do: find what works for you.

Blairbob

That's not really a SteadyStateCycle. Sounds a bit like Pavel's modified PowerToThePeople but again not SSC.

StevenL

My fault for not mentioning that I meant use SSC for the statics, and feel out the FBEs. I knew that wasn't SSC, which was kind of the point of the post. It really bears virtually no resemblance to PTP, either.