Good time for a Front Lever?

Started by newguy5000, March 6, 2012 · 4 Replies · 3,416 Views

newguy5000

Not that i can do them yet, but i was wondering for general strength development what a good time to build up the Front LEver and Back Lever is?

i.e, in many pre-requisites and progressions we seem to build up to a solid 1 x60 is that something you should eventually aim for on a full FL or BL or is the difficulty of these moves such that much lower times like the 1 x 15 secs is more than adequate?

Just curious :)

Adam Bodestyne

For the full versions of the levers? The lower hold times are definitely far more reasonable. I mean, for gymnastics, I think they typically 'count' if you can hold for 2 seconds (or did I just hallucinate that thought out of nowhere?)

For the easier variations (i.e, tuck), 60 seconds is probably quite reasonable to achieve, and either 30 seconds or 60 seconds would not be unrealistic goals. (Whether these are indeed the times you should build to before moving on is another matter, but I don't think those times seem too unrealistic to achieve.)

For straddle and more difficult variations, 15 seconds becomes more of a reasonable upper limit.

newguy5000

Yeah i was thinking a full Front Lever not the tucked progressions.

Thanks for the answer!

Cole Dano

30 seconds for the tucked variations, 15 for the others.

Blairbob

30/60 for everything before straddle (frogstand, adv frogstand, tuck, adv tuck). 15 after. I think Ido either built up to a 30s straddle or multiple sets of 15 for the planche.