Curl alternative on the rings

Started by seiyafan, March 6, 2012 · 14 Replies · 8,138 Views

seiyafan

I found that curl in inverted position (the easiest curl movement in the book) is still too challenging. What would be some good alternatives for frying biceps? like chin-ups and body row?

seiyafan

standing ring curl? i am interested.

Dillon Zrike

I like this variation: Set the rings so they are a little below your shoulders, and grab on to the rings as if you were in the bottom of a dip. Lean forward and slowly straighten your arms. It's difficult to curl back to a stand! To make it easier you can walk forward with the rings.

Dillon

RatioFitness
Dillon Zrike said:
I like this variation: Set the rings so they are a little below your shoulders, and grab on to the rings as if you were in the bottom of a dip. Lean forward and slowly straighten your arms. It's difficult to curl back to a stand! To make it easier you can walk forward with the rings.

Dillon

I like these but how do you keep your palms from being rubbed raw?

Brian Li
Dillon Zrike said:
I like this variation: Set the rings so they are a little below your shoulders, and grab on to the rings as if you were in the bottom of a dip. Lean forward and slowly straighten your arms. It's difficult to curl back to a stand! To make it easier you can walk forward with the rings.

Dillon

Are these like the back lever curls from the book?

seiyafan said:
standing ring curl? i am interested.

Speaking of standing ring curls, you can do them with your body facing the ground which I think is harder than the one with your body facing up.

seiyafan

would staying in inverted position help with building biceps? or does it have to have some contraction going on.

seiyafan

Is there a video on a full range reverse muscle up? I want to see something completely inhuman.

Blairbob

Somebody posted one of Gregor doing it awhile back. Try a search maybe.

Daniel Burnham
Bdk1786 said:
seiyafan said:
would staying in inverted position help with building biceps? or does it have to have some contraction going on.

i don't see hardly any real work done on the biceps in an invert. You would better spend your time with RTO support or other curl variations previously mentioned. A lot of your straight arm will come to tax your biceps to keep you locked out.

I disagree if you do these full range (90 degrees) and keep your body in the correct upright position with the rings in front of you you will definitely feel it in your biceps. In the standing ones you work to get more and more horizontal then start getting vertical with your feet higher than your shoulders. Ive only been able to do the inverted curl with a spotter and he got a a good bicep workout by lifting me at my shoulders.

The ones Dillon mentioned are a different beast as B12141 mentioned. They are basically a back lever curl made easier by allowing your feet to rest on the ground. I tried these today and they are pretty difficult. Definitely a great intermediate progression.

Daniel Burnham
I think you misunderstood. I believe what he was asking if just staying in an inverted hang would build biceps. I know curling to 90 does it because I do them often.

Oops sorry! Definitely makes more sense now.

Ryan Hutchins

Coach's "Curls" make me angry. Who posesses the raw strength to just do an inverted freebalancing bodyweight curl? And thats the easiest variation :shock: I stopped training the Reverse MU awhile ago due to shoulder injuries... but i do want to get it because it is a slice of awesome to get up on the rings this way. I think i'll stick with the Negative RMU for now until i have more stability and control in the decent. That and work on the transition from shoulderstand. Does anyone else find this the best way to get stronger in this position?

Blairbob

I'm not sure it's the best, but I did work on shoulderstand to invert or handstand to invert with an assist by sliding my legs on the inner part of the straps.

Tough.

alec_ar

To RyanC,

It may not be the best way to develop strength in the reverse muscle up half, but putting your forearms through the straps and grabbing the rings can decrease the intensity of the excercise immensely, until you are performing them with the straps up at your wrists and then on your hands and then just purely using the rings. (although you will want to wear a long sleeve shirt as the straps can cut your skin up pretty bad) this is one way that can be helpful to build up the movement :)

Ryan Hutchins

i'll give it a try when i get home tonight. Thx man!

seiyafan

I recently discovered that just doing pull-ups with turning the rings inward at the end can give biceps a good work out.